Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:40 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Gas prices getting stupid again...........
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
SD44

Gas prices getting stupid again...........

It was only a couple months ago that they were down in the $1.90's here, now it's climbing around a nickel a week. It's currrently $2.44 here. Evil or Very Mad

Post Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:20 pm 
fairlaniac

Primarys

The primary elections are coming up. Shoot up the price and dip it down right at primary election time and say "look what I did for you"!

Post Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:42 pm 
GerryProctor

Really, Doug, politicos don't have much at all to do with fuel prices. Petroleum is a freely traded global commodity. It went up in Germany and everywhere else too. Speculators drive market prices and what you're seeing is a repetitive event. It always goes up at this time of year as refineries convert from winter to summer fuel blends and shut down for maintenance. This dries up reserves, which drives up fuel prices. You're going to see the same rise toward the peak summer driving time right around Memorial Day. Happens every year.

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:53 am 
fairlaniac

I think you're caving!

Really though. Both of our points of view have some merit. I'm not big into polotics so i won't even continue much on this topic. you are correct that fuel always goes up this time of year. The government tells the oil industry it's the winter blend memo, pass it along and jack up prices:-) I don't recall the winter blend ever jacking up 50 cents plus?

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:47 am 
SD44

word is that it will be around $3.00 a gallon by mid summer, like last year.

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:54 am 
GerryProctor

Maybe so. It a market driven entirely by speculation. A major refinery goes down, a pipeline breaks, hurricanes in the gulf, tension in the Middle East. Pick a reason. It's so volitile that someone spitting in the ocean can upset fuel prices. It's just the world we live in.

I have some contact with journalists in the oil and natural gas industry so I see industry news that the general public doesn't get to see -at least nothing more than snippets in the news. Refineries do not operate the way the public thinks they do.

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:31 am 
SD44

quote:
Originally posted by GerryProctor:
Really, Doug, politicos don't have much at all to do with fuel prices.

it's alittle hard to believe that politics and government have nothing to do with fuel prices. from what i understand, the government makes more on taxing petroleum than the oil companies make in profits.

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:29 pm 
GerryProctor

That's true. Federal and state taxes are the biggest "profit" component of the fuel. But that tax is fixed and doesn't fluctuate with the fuel price.

It doesn't matter who you accuse (Bush, Exxon, OPEC...) since fuel costs what it costs. You can't decide not to buy any, like you could with a Big Mac. All you can do is be pissed off.

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:51 pm 
steve

Here in Ontario there is a actually a bit of a fuel shortage. Some stations can't get fuel. There was a refinery fire a few weeks ago and there is also a railroad strike so the supply is limited. Currently we are paying $1.04 per litre. That works out to over $4 per US gallon

Post Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:16 pm 
fair67cp

It's funny but no matter how high the price gets people simply refuse to do one easy practical thing to combat it, SLOW DOWN. Not only would we save tons of fuel with everybody driving slower, there would be fewer fatal accidents because these idiots may actually have some time for reacting to unforseen events. It's crazy here in Md. people shoot out in the outside lane and floor it even when you can clearly see traffic stopped 1/4 to 1/2 mile ahead. I'd love to advocate a National traffic slow down day or something. In my opinion people driving as fast as possible just makes the congestion worse. It's like trying to stuff a large quantity of something into a narrow pipe. The slower you put it in, the quicker the whole bulk flows. Just my 2 cents from an old school Engineering student!

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:20 pm 
fair67cp

Just this last week some guy in a pickup went across the median on I-70 hitting a semi-tractor trailer in the gas tank. Both drivers died, including the truck driver. I don't think people realize the lack of control they have when they are in such a big hurry and want to drive right up the other guys butt like they do in NASCAR.

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:27 pm 
SD44

conspiracy theory time:

anyone believe that we already have the technology to use organic fuels (corn, soybeans, peanuts, etc) as a dependable source, but "someone" (government, big business, etc) makes all the inside moves and laws to keep it from happening? could you imagine the boost to our economy and our farmers, here in our own country, if we used this fuel source the way we use petroleum. hell, i saw a clip on one of the news shows last year where a guy was running his car off WATER, and also ran a torch off water.

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:03 pm 
SD44

here's the clip about the water torch/fuel, i know that was gonna be hard for some of you to believe:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Rb_rDkwGnU

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:09 pm 
la8ron

[quote="fair67cp"]It's funny but no matter how high the price gets people simply refuse to do one easy practical thing to combat it, SLOW DOWN. [/qu
ote]
It is more of the stop/start driving that increases the fuel consumption rather than the speed to a set amount. I have found that driving my daily driver (a 1999 au ford falcon) it is more efficient at 110 kph/69mph than 80kph/50mph. Admittedly this would change if Iwas doing 160kph/100mph.

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:59 pm 
la8ron

quote:
Originally posted by SD44:
conspiracy theory time:

anyone believe that we already have the technology to use organic fuels (corn, soybeans, peanuts, etc) as a dependable source,

I thought that was the idea behind the E85 fuel that we here about that they are introducing over there in the states.

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:02 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: