Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:25 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

Please give me some thruth about Fairlane-headers
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
PaleRider

Please give me some thruth about Fairlane-headers

I`m planning to swap the old 260cui for a 302 or mybe a 351 + AOD in my -64 Fairlane. But before deciding anything I need to know a few things anout headers, thats shorties for me.

Is there any headers at all that will fit on the 302 + AOD? (guess nothing fits the 351+AOD Confused )
Is there anyone around who has done this and simply knows?

Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:49 am 
steve

I know that Roger that is on this site often, had the Hooker 6134's with an AOD in his 62 but had to alter the direction of the collector on one side( not sure which side) Even then the collector was almost tight against the side of the tranny. I am using Hi-po manifolds so I don't have those issues. I was wondering if the Mid length JBA headers for a 67 mustang with a 289/302 would fit. They look good but I don't want to spend that much and find out that the don't fit.

Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:40 pm 
PaleRider

Does anyone know if these early Mustang 351-swap headers could fit the Fairlane?

- check out the 88650:

http://www.hedman.com/pages/H80000-Series.htm

http://www.hedman.com/pages/hedmanmain.html

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:23 am 
fair67cp

This discussion has been around for quite a while. Please correct me if this isnt' accurate, but the consensus seems to be that a set of Hi Po exhaust manifolds perform practically as well as headers but are a whole lot less hassle in terms of installation problems and routing interference. I'm not sure about the availability of Hi Pos, but if it is small block and will fit in a Mustang, I can't imagine there not being an aftermarket offering of some sort.

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:00 pm 
steve

Hi-po manifolds are fine if your engine is fairly mild. In Mustangs and Fords magazine, they took off a set of hi-po manifolds and put on a set of Hooker supercomps on a 347 stroker equipped 64 Fairlane. They gained 80 hp!!!. Now most people would never see that kind gain but if you have a built up engine or if you are going to build it up, it might be worthwhile to spend the money now for the headers. I still would like to see some better pictures of the JBA shorties though!

Post Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:16 pm 
roger

headers

I have a set of Hooker super comp full length headers #6134, the first set sent to Canada actually,
modified to fit a 62 with a sm.block-AOD combo.

I;m going Rack & pinion & running a C-4 Gear/Vendor combo,may switch to, well, i don;t know what.
powder coated -Steel finish

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:48 pm 
compact

roger, what modification did you have to do to get it to fit the 62...as im thinking of buying a set myself

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:15 pm 
roger

mods

The Dr. side will fit just as it is.
the pass. side header needs the collector flattened somewhat to clear the body of the AOD.
We found the best way to make this mod was to cut the collector off, about 2" from where the tubes merge, flatten the inside surface by 1/2" & re-weld collector on angled away from the AOD body.
this is test & fit exercise, to get the angle correct to clear the side of the trans.
this causes another problem, now the collector doesn;t line up with your trans mount ex. hump!
So, we added a 2" piece of angle iron to X-mount to extend the hump outwards to line up with the new header angle.
Your exhaust will now make a littel gentle S bend to line up with X-member.
the hardest part is taking a brand new (hi $$$) header & cutting it up!
It does work out fine though
and as Steve says, you can feel the seat of the pants difference between the Hi-po;s & the Hooker full length headers.
If & when i get her back together I can take some pics for you.
but, i may not be able to use the Hookers this time out, seems they may not fit with rack & pinion

Post Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:44 pm 
PaleRider

Too bad I can`t get a straight answer on this; if the shorties fit the early Mustang will they fit the Fairlane as well? And if not, why?

I`m still trying to get a straight answer to if these shorties will fit a 351w in my 64 but qualified answers are hard to get...

even these could do since I`m going for a moderate 300+ daily driver:

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:03 pm 
midland525

i am putting a 83 302 from a mustang gt in my 64. i bought a set of patriot shorty ceramic headers in hopes that they would work. they were for a mustang. they would not clear the shock towers. it looks like the only option i have is stock manifolds. i found a place here in charlotte that has both in inventory. stock manifolds are 185.00 and hi po manifolds are 235.00. these are not ceramic coated. if any one else out there knows of another set of headers that will fit i would really like to hear about them. i am going to have to make a decision in the next week or two.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:29 pm 
roger

Mustang shorties will not clear the F;lane shock towers
Now, if you go with the Crities shock tower clearancing kit, opens up a number of shorties you can use.
You can e-mail crities restorations & ask em, if you install they;re shock tower kit, what shorties they suggest you use.
I think Crities tower kit is the only thing out there to make room for headers, other than the Hooker full length #6134;s, whcih wil fit a stock F'lane
Even the RRS suspensions shock kit, which is a really nice kit, can;t be used unless you install they;re coil overs

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:45 pm 
midland525

thanks for the info roger. i ckecked a couple places and only found the hooker 6134's at summit racing. they charge 629.00 for a set !!!. that is a bit more than i can bite off at this point of the restoration so i quess i'll settle for a set of mustang hi po exhaust manifolds at 235.00
mike

Post Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:12 am 
steve

The Dougs headers are a little cheaper. Go to the Ford Muscle site Fairlane section. There is a thread about the headers right now, with some pictures of the Dougs. http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/fairlane-pages/headers_56343.html

Post Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:12 am 
RadMan

Roger,
I like your style, if it does not fit modify it. It seems that many of us are looking for the off the shelf in a box fix for everything we do to our cars. I am an old guy and when I started most of the parts avalible today did not exist. Most all Fairlane improvements required fabrication work or finding something in the salvage yard from another Ford that would do the job.

It,s great to have a place to find answers from those who have already done the job before you but there are times that you have to grab the torch or saw and jump in. I have installed many engines in cars that never came with them over the years and you can reach a point where the avalable options come down to, cut out that tube and reroute it, or change the collector angle.

A long time ago this was called Hot Rodding.

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:21 am 
roger

Thanks
now, if i can just figure out how to mount late model Stang coil overs before i cut my shock towers out!
would be to late to find out they don;t fit!
Even though i;m only looking over the shoulder of the guys doing this, yes, it is hot rodding!

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:23 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: