Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Rear end gear ratio/Torque convertor questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
jeffh355

Rear end gear ratio/Torque convertor questions

We have a 64 Fairlane clone with a semi stock drive train. Has a 302 right now, but the wife has decided she has to have a 351W in it. Yes, she's a huge gear head! We are having a solid C4 street/strip trans built right now and a 2800 stall converter (convertor still open for debate). Question is on the rearend. We are going to have a 9" rear end built with an LSD, but are looking for opinions on gear ratios. It must have the highest highway gears in it right now as its a sled on take off. Are 4:10/4:11's too low? How about the convertor stall speed. Sound right? I've built other cars in the past (late 70's) but none this big and heavy. Thanks for any insight you can give! Jeff

Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:18 pm 
fairlaner67

It really depends on what the car will be used for. If you are going with high compression and a big cam I would say the 2800 converter will be good. I've run 4.11's in a couple cars before and while they're a blast to drive around town, hitting the highway is absolutely miserable. But then again, if the car will see alot of track time, maybe you can live with the low gears. You just have to be honest with yourself about how the car is going to be used. Oh...congratulations on having a gear head wife! I have to find one of them.

Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:34 pm 
jeffh355

quote:
Originally posted by fairlaner67:
It really depends on what the car will be used for. Oh...congratulations on having a gear head wife! I have to find one of them.

Let's see. 9.5:1 compression, medium size cam. Mostly for putting around town now and then, driving to car shows and maybe a parade or two. Will only see the strip a couple times a year for fun. Of course she will be the driver Very Happy Her daily driver is a Subaru STI that we've built up. And as for the gear head wife thing... I'm 47 now and we just got married 2 weeks ago. Had to wait for the right girl to come along. Basicly one who has the passion for horsepower!!! Thanks for the reply. Jeff

Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:46 pm 
Fair 67

3.50 with a posi would be a good all around gear , however that is just my opinion.. Or you could have 2 seperate centre sections one for everyday and the other a 410 that you change to the odd time when you go to the track. I had done that in my younger years and it worked out pretty good. I had a 289 and a 2800 stall with 488 gears in my 67 Fairlane. I gotta tell you the 4.88 were terrible out of town for any distance. Even taking the ring road around town sucked. But it sure was fun when a smart allick kid pulled up beside me in his new mustang... LoL

Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:33 pm 
jeffh355

Taken a few years ago, my wifes other hobby besides cars.

Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:07 pm 
fairlaner67

You really lucked out didn't you?! She's a motor head and has a .50 cal. Nice! Anyway, getting back to buisness...I personaly think the 2800 converter would be fine, but I have to agree with Fair67 on the gear ratio. 3.55's are a great compromise. You can still cruise around and they'll give you some get up and go too. I swap gears in my 9" a couple times a year. Right now I have 3.25's in there and I'm loving being able to drive anywhere without my engine redlining.

Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:28 pm 
la8ron

I also agree with fair67 and fairlaner67 with the 3.5 gear ratio. They are a happy medium for every day street use and the odd occasional blast down the strip.

Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:54 am 
LiLMike

If it's not too late, I would go with a wide ratio C4. Better take off in first but has a lower ratio in third for highway. If I read the charts right, a 3:25 gear acts like a 3:75 in first on a C6. Not sure about a C4. Just my thoughts.

Mike

Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
jeffh355

Thanks everyone!!! This has been a great help. Jen and I decided to go with the 3:55's/2800 combo.

Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:48 am 
fair67cp

I hope you never get her angry with you!

Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:26 am 
Scott66gta

OR....

if it isn't too late, 4.11's w/ an AOD would be good also....

a C4 w/ 3.55's would be perfect, as the higher stall will compensate, almost making it like you have 3.89's or something...

Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
jeffh355

Re: OR....

quote:
Originally posted by Scott66gta:
if it isn't too late, 4.11's w/ an AOD would be good also....

a C4 w/ 3.55's would be perfect, as the higher stall will compensate, almost making it like you have 3.89's or something...

Thanks. The C4 is already being built. Now if I can ever get Curry Ent. to call me back I can have them start on the rear end.

Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:57 pm 
Richy

My 64 got 16mpg on free way useing a 3000 stall & 4.11s. Of cource I was only going around 45mph to keep the rpm down. Every one that passes you gives you the thumbs up.

Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:15 pm 
roger

go GV

Add a gear Vendor unit behind that C-4 & go with 3:73;s in the rar, best of all worlds!!
Cruising on the Hwy she acts like your runnijg 2:50;s!!

Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:54 am 
codycr6

gears

4.10's and such are miserable on the highway with no overdrive... my 9 second street/strip car had 4.10's, but I had a built AOD in it. There were occasions (tuning) that I ran it in 3rd for a while at 75-80... just plain annoying! Once you get the Windsor, build it for torque and put nothing more than a 3.55 gear in it, and preferably a 3.00-3.27. You will drive the car more and enjoy it much more!

Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:12 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: