Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:18 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

302 and AOD

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
shades_o_grey

302 and AOD

Hey guys, it's me with more questions. If I use a 302 and AOD from a 1985 Ford f-150, it should work, right? It's a carbureted non-roller engine.

I'll be using a ratchet shifter on a custom console, since I don't think I'll ever find a repro or NOS console I can afford.

I have to rebuild the 302, but if I tear everything down, the block should be the same as a '68 302, shouldn't it? Did they stay with the same block that long? What should I do for motor mounts? Will old 260 m/mounts work on the 302? There both the same outside aren't they?

Will Hooker 6134 headers fit this combo? 1964 Fairlane with an 85 302 and AOD?. I know that Dynomax doesn't make one for our beasts.

Lot more questions will be forthcoming as I break stuff and get stuck on silly projects...

Brado

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:58 pm 
jmgford

The '85 block uses a one-piece rear main seal that installs from the back and has the oil dipstick in the side of the block rather than the front cover.
This is not a problem, you will just have to plug the hole and use the '68 302 front cover and dipstick.
I believe the engine mounts are the same. A '64 289 mount would be the same for sure. The early 260's had a narrower bolt pattern where the mounts bolted on, but I think your 260 is the same. Just measure it to be sure

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:37 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
67fairlane500
Site Admin

the new motor you have has a 50 oz balance for the flywheel and the 68 motor i believe is still the 28 oz. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this.

Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:01 am 
roger

AOD & headers

The balance or imbalance changed from 28 oz. to 50oz. in 80;s, i think 1980 actually.
the hookers won;t fit with the AOD unless you do some major collector work.
the driver side squeaks in, but the pass. side is a nightmare. If i was to do it again i;d use a shorter header instead of messing with the full length 6134;s.
Aslo, unless you do some work to the AOD the novelty will wear off quickly, overdrive is great to have,but, the mushy shift when it wants to AOD needs some help.
do yourself a favor & contact Lentech for a valve body, you will get full control over 1st, 2nd, 3rd. shifts & an electronic lock out for O/D.

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:22 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: