Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Engine swap in a new-fangled model company starts with a &qu

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
fair67cp

Engine swap in a new-fangled model company starts with a &qu

My wife found a 1993 Lumina for our son to drive. It WAS running reasonably well at first but the 6 cyl threw a rod and now the engine it toast. We do have a similar model parts car with a running engine. I was just wondering if anybody here has messed with a front wheel drive engine swap. The manual says to pull the engine and transaxle out together for our engine combinations, but I have a buddy who swears we should unbolt the transaxle and separate them and only pull the motor. I'm betting a 24 pack that the manual says to pull the motor transaxle together for a reason. That if he attempts to separate the two from each other in the car we will end up putting it back together and having to pull the transaxle anyway.

Any real life experiences with this (alien) type of contraption. Give me rear wheel drive motor and tranny in the front anyday! I would have had the swap done weeks ago!

Mark in Md.

Post Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:08 pm 
GerryProctor

The manuals aren't always right in every circumstance. Even dealer technicians find better or more appropriate ways to get the job done.

I'd try the swap without pulling the transaxle, though it shouldn't be that much harder to pull them as a unit.

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:56 am 
steve

I thought alot of front wheel drive engine/trannys come out the bottom better than the top. You drop the entire front suspension/crossmember. Of course you would need the proper hoist to do it this way. I would try it the conventional way first, thats for sure!

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:55 pm 
nick

most mfr's will recommend dropping everything down right on the cradle but you have to have a hoist to do that.
i have pulled everything to date from the top- sometimes with the transaxle, sometimes without. usually those larger v6's can be done by leaving the tranny in the car. it's more labor that way but easier for the shadetree mechanic in my opinion. that would be my $0.02 worth.

Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:01 pm 
67fairlane500
Site Admin

I am not too familiar with front engine/drive combos. I think that it would be easier to pull the transaxle and engine as a unit. Although you would have to pull the CVs. It is a tough call, but if you trust your buddy then do what he said. If you don't, just go by the book. You could always talk to a mechanic at the local Chevy dealer and ask them. Hopefully they would be helpful.

Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:18 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: