Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Modifications

Strut front suspension

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
steve

Strut front suspension

I'm working on a coil over strut conversion on my 64. It will be similar to the Fatman mustang setup. I'm using 2000 Mustang spindles and hubs, Strange adjustable struts. The springs are Carrera 2.5" ID by 12" long. I made my own caster camber plates and the sleeves etc for the springs.The brakes will be 2005 mustang GT 12.4" rotors with Crown Vic calipers. Looks like it will work out great. If you have ever figured out the suspension geometry on an early Fairlane you will soon see that it really is bad, with the roll center far below the ground and the instant center way off to the opposite side of the car than it usually is. With the strut conversion it puts everything in a more acceptable place. Macpherson struts do have their drawbacks but at least I won't be hacking my car apart to do this. The only permanent modifications are to drill two 5/16" holes in the top of each shock tower.

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:06 pm 
67 Blue Oval

I was considering doing a similar type conversion on my 67....very much like the RRS kit.

What are you using for the lower control arm/ball joint?

I would like to see some pics if you have any..curious to see how you fabricated the caster/camber plates.

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:16 am 
steve

I am using stock lower control arms and ball joints. I made a tapered spacer to make up the difference in diameters between the ball joint and the Mustang spindle. It has a .050" wall thickness. If RRS can use a stock sized lower ball joint, I didn't see a problem. If I had to pay someone to make all the stuff that I am able to make, it would have been cheaper to get the Fatman kit, but I would still have to get spindles, struts brakes etc. If I didn't want to hunt all of this stuff, the RRS system would be the way to go.

Post Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:17 pm 
roger

how does this look

Steve
what do you think of
www.cmjperformance.com kit they are now selling for F;lanes?

does the way strut mounts to spindle look ok?

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:55 pm 
steve

I really don't like the idea of modifying the stock spindles to mount the strut. You have to remember that this carries all of the weight of the front of the car. I know I had to make an adapter for the tie rod to the spindle to make mine "rear steer" but I think that they will be plenty strong. Stronger than any tie rod anyways. I asked them a few questions about suspension geometry and I didn't get any response, I think they just winged it without really checking to see if the geometry would be any better. It should be. I know mine will be.

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:16 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: