Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:41 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Members Cars

Can It be Restored?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
First Car... My 67 500

Can It be Restored?

I wrecked my fairlane and was told that it was totalled because of the roof, so i've been looking for a new 67 fairlane ever since. I know that it is a unibody which complicates things because of the roof, but i would like to know if you think it is totaled? can it be fixed? And if you've done this repair before how did it work out? Any Information is appreciated

Thanks

[/img]

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:43 am 
roger

om my goodness!

Doesn;t look that bad, meaning a right off?
how does it drive?
If its all cosmetic, then its just a matter of $$$$$$ maye few more $$$$$$

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:15 pm 
FastMag

That sucks. Just curious how you dented it there. A good body shop should be able to fix that for a price. Hit the Hot Rod shops in your area. You would be suprised what they can do.

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:27 am 
compact

mate ive seen cars built out of shells that have been lifted from swamps....yes most certainly yes....that can be fixed... and definately fix it

agree with the others....go to a hot rod shop....not your normal insurance repair shop...they wouldnt have a clue(or most wouldnt)

let us know how you get on Very Happy

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:59 am 
la8ron

Look for a body shop that deals in restoration of classic cars. You will more than likely need to get a roof section, unstitch the welds and refit it to your fairlane.

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:32 pm 
First Car... My 67 500

quote:
Originally posted by FastMag:
That sucks. Just curious how you dented it there. A good body shop should be able to fix that for a price. Hit the Hot Rod shops in your area. You would be surprised what they can do.

I actually flipped it, i was passing a truck doing about 65 on a country road, then i noticed another car in front of the truck, so i decided to pass both cars, about midway during the second car, the line turned double yellow, i said screw it, and attempted it anyways. Then a 47 chevy came from around the corner, i slowed down, but the car i was passing slowed down too, and i couldn't get back between the two cars i was passing safely, so i just slowed down as much as possible then ended up in the ditch.

The entire body is beat up, but the roof was the main reason it was claimed totaled, the drive line, interior all perfect. So another question..... it can be fixed, but due to the title be branded, and then cost of repairs, would it just be better financially to buy another and transfer parts? Then, sentimentally its my first car, but i would buy another fairlane with some of my original parts. But is that the same? Do you wish you had your actual first car, or just an identical model?

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:36 pm 
scorcher1967

As someone who has managed to keep a hold of his first car, I would say The actual car means more to me than a duplicate. My 67 mustang is pretty rough, but I would not get rid of it for anything.

I go with what everyone else has said and find a hot rod shop. The guy that handles my body work is great, and specializes in hot rods and custom work. Some of the good ones would enjoy the challenge, and take pride in ressurecting something from the crusher.

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:57 pm 
fairlaneranch

where are you located?I am a bodyman with 20+ years exp and have fixed worst.I am in VA - let me know if I can help Very Happy

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:52 pm 
First Car... My 67 500

quote:
where are you located?I am a bodyman with 20+ years exp and have fixed worst.I am in VA - let me know if I can help

Sorry, but thanks for the offer

I live in Oregon, a little bit away, lol

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:59 pm 
nick

original car vs. duplicate

In my opinion and based on the pics you provided, that car can be fixed.
my original 1969 didn't fare so well though back in 1987. I bought it from my great-grandpa, welded a ton of metal into it during the restoration, and then rolled it into the ditch within the first month back on the road. The insurance people would not budge on considering it a total. Between how much of the top of the car was crushed and how much rust repair I had to done, I bought another 69 and restored that one. My great-grandpa never found out.
20 years later, I still have the clone and it is as precious to me as that first one- and in a lot better shape. In my opinion, the only downside was that another old car disappeared and probably got turned into an Accord...

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:39 pm 
rusty428cj

Anything can be fixed if you have enough money. Find another body.
727-847-7973
www.gillisrestorations.com

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:22 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: