Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

$50 paint job

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
AustinTX63

$50 paint job

Guys.. I didn't think the $50 paint job was possible. But, the more I read about these guy's results (and look at the pictures) the more I think it is possible to get a rolled on paint job that looks amazing. Look at the results before making your decision. This may be an option for those with little money and plenty of time. This method is based on multiple coats of very thin paint that "self levels" resulting in glossy, smooth results without the use of a spray gun. No over spray, less taping.

http://www.bryanswebpage.com/paint/

http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint-8mos.html

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=QuestionAnswer&Number=2348049&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=de83235d3233c39230432b6d5fe08df8

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2825106

Post Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:51 am 
fair67cp

Looks like it would be worth trying. You have to have a lot of time and a good work ethic, but it sure makes sense to me. It is amazing the ingenuity of us humans!

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:51 am 
Scott66gta

tractor paint

from Central Tractor work pretty good, to... Interlux boat paint works that way too, with a good brush, the right humidity, and preparation...

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
odd ball

im just stupid enough to try this.....I WOULD rather put all that paint money i have saved up into the engine.....im not building a fucking show car after all, just a fast driver......May stop by home depot on the way home....

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:20 pm 
AustinTX63

Let me know how it goes. I have a beater truck that I am probably going to try it on in the next month or so. If that goes well... I'll be trying it on a driver quality car. Every car I see that is a mechanically sound classic that needs a paint job has become an option to me now.... must resist temptation to buy more projects.

I like the idea of being able to touch it up myself when something happens to the paint. That is very appealing.

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:23 pm 
johnc118

I posted that a while back.

Back in the 1970's we painted a Austin Healy Sprite with a brush and roller once it dried we wet sanded it as was the custom in the day after buffing it looked like a $1000.00 paint job remember this was 1970.

I recently used Red Rustoleum on a boat, after some prep and some zinc chromate primer, we sprayed the boat with Saftey red and a cheapie HVLP gun $70.00 and darned if it did not turn out very good.

Had I don this over several days and wet sanded then buffed it would out shine my 05 Chevy 2500, plus no clear coat on the boat it looks a lot more clear, not milked out like clear coats do!.

It take time, matter of fact if you want a standard color Check out Duplicolors new line of lacquers great for the back yard painter!!!

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:49 pm 
optika1illushun

I could really use this on my 88 F-350. Wonder if i can find some metallic colors, particularly dark metallic blue.

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:24 pm 
AustinTX63

This method will not work with metallic paints. I don't completely understand why, but paint guys will tell you that you have to spray metallic paints.

Here are the available colors of Rustoleum:

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=150

I got the paint I needed at Home Depot... they definitely did not have all the available colors.

Jeff

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:54 pm 
odd ball

i did a big test piece on a piece of scrap I had laying around. After 6 coats and a lot of wet sanding, it actually looks really good. The weather is turning fall here real fast, I don't know if I would have the time to do it. Does anyone know how good that duplicolor paint is? It is really cheap and you can get a cheap hvlp gun for around $100.

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:56 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: