Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Member Projects

64 wagon build
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
scorcher1967

64 wagon build

Here is my new project. A 64 fairlane wagon. I found it behind my favorite body shop, in a field. Guy made me a heck of deal, so.....

More pics to follow, Data plate info, etc...

Post Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:04 pm 
scorcher1967

71B 4-door Custom Ranch Wagon
M Wimbledon White
65 Red Crush/Red Vinyl
21A January
51 Denver
4 3.25:1 Axle
4 3 Speed Dual Range
4K48C Kansas City/ 289 2V

Very Complete Car. I rebuilt the Carb, its the Original 1964 vintage C4OF-J two barrel. Heat Risers and Choke Piping still on the motor. A lot of it is rough, but it is there.

A picture of it as I first saw it. The two coupes next to it are both K code Sport Coupes. Very gutted, no motors/trannys. One Black with White, One Red with White. Won't tell you where they are, sorry.

Post Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:30 pm 
John64

Nice wagon!

My next poject will be a 64 Wagon. Just need to finish off the 2 dr Sedan....

About those K code hardtops??? obviously your not giving out their where-abouts (I'm not interested anyways) but how about getting the VIN #'s from them and pass the info along to Bob Mannel so they can be accounted for. Bob is keeping track of the 63-65 Hipo Fairlanes.. He can be reached from the Fairlane Club of America website http://www.fairlaneclubofamerica.com/

Post Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:47 pm 
scorcher1967

quote:
Originally posted by John64:
Nice wagon!

My next poject will be a 64 Wagon. Just need to finish off the 2 dr Sedan....

About those K code hardtops??? obviously your not giving out their where-abouts (I'm not interested anyways) but how about getting the VIN #'s from them and pass the info along to Bob Mannel so they can be accounted for. Bob is keeping track of the 63-65 Hipo Fairlanes.. He can be reached from the Fairlane Club of America website http://www.fairlaneclubofamerica.com/

I saw that site. I will grab the VIN's next time I can, and pass then along.

I put in a new master cyl, brake hoses, bled the system...nice firm pedal feel. Then when I fired it up to check the transmission...pedal to the floor. Firm enough to blow both front wheel cylinders. How many times do I tell myself, do it right the first time? Apparently not enough times.

Post Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:49 am 
scorcher1967

on the road again

A couple carb pics. Original tag, probably never rebuilt. The goo inside was the worst I have seen. Had to soak parts for 24 hours to clear some of it.

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:17 pm 
scorcher1967

Got the brake system rebuilt. No new shoes or drums, they seemed to have life left in them, and will go away for discs someday. Fired it up, burned off the caked on mouse poop, and will road test it this evening.

I shot of the interior.

Post Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:19 pm 
64_Fairlane_Wagon

It's nice to see another wagon.

Mine is "Phoenician Yellow" with "Medium Palomino Crush crinkle vinyl" and was built in April. Other than that, it appears to have been equipped like yours.

Unfortunately, mine has been sitting in the garage for about a year now. I know a lot of useless stuff about cars, but I've never done much work on them before. So, the carb is sitting on the workbench waiting for me to get back to it.

I'm also drooling over your luggage rack. Mine was painted black, and the pieces/tubes running from front to back are rusted out.

Post Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:14 pm 
scorcher1967

Appears the radiator is not salvageable. Going to need a new one before I can really drive it. Crying or Very sad

Post Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:02 pm 
scorcher1967

Been a cold winter, and kids are expensive at christmas time. Anyway, despite the temperature below zero, I dug into the motor. Oil fouled out the plugs in less than 100 miles, so I suspect the 289 is a little tired. Until I can find and finish a new small block, I will try to keep this one running.

So, burning oil? Check valve stem seals and compression. Compression was ok. Valve Stem seals were not.....

Thats whats left of them. 2 of 16 intact. Brittle, cracked, but intact. The rest had to be fished out of the heads.

Pushrods showed a lot of varnish

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:44 am 
Mr. Ed

Neat car! And the condition of the engine is typical of an old car that has been driven a lot and then sat for a long time. I've owned a few in my time.

After you put the new valve seals on and scrape the worst of the goo out, pull out about a quart of oil and add a quart of Marvel Mystery oil. Drive it like that for a few weeks and change the oil and filter. You'd be surprised how good the stuff works. I have used it free oil rings and clean out stuck lifters. It is truly one of those products that is worth every penny. And you can also add it to the gas in place of lead because the lead was only used to lubricate the valves. And since it is real oil, you can put a quart in at oil change time to continuosly clean the internals.

Later!
Mr. Ed
Razz

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:24 am 
scorcher1967

Good tip Mr Ed. I will look into that.

I spent some more time with the car. Chased some electrical gremlins around. When the radio was working, the reverse lights did not work, reverse lights on, no radio... One headlight out, no horn. I replaced all the exterior bulbs, except high beam. (funny part, the new regular beams are brighter than the old "highs") Pulled apart the fuse box after checking circuits. Entire box was "loose". cleaned and tightened all fuse connections. I need to get the brass brushes for the horn. Then that is fixed. Really nice to work on a car that has not been hacked apart through the years.

I may rebuild a 302 for it when I am done swapping a 350/automatic into an 84 chevy truck. Dont frown, I gotta fund my projects somehow!

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:41 am 
scorcher1967

I have finally decided on a direction for this build. I have seen 2 door wagons, build on post coupe doors. Both panel and full glass. I have seen pro street, full race, and mostly stock. I sketched out a couple ideas...

My 12 year old daughter says the panel wagon looks like a hearse, so going with full window.

My goal is to build this as if Ford had built a 64 Sport Wagon. SC buckets and console, SC/Wagon interior panels. Hybrid wagon/SC headliner. Vintage drivetrain, etc...

Grafting the two roof panels together will not be a simple task, but after a couple hours of discussion with the metal worker, jim poole, it can be done.

I may use a more modern 302/5speed, for driveabilty, but keep the appearance vintage.

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:15 am 
Glass_Packs

Hey Scorcher,

Cool concept! I was checking out cardomain.com and these two wagons jumped out:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2335026

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2509270

Hope you can draw some inspiration from these!

Tom - Glass_Packs

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Mr. Ed

I like it! Reminds me of a Nomad. The first one on cardomain looks like a wagon. The second looks more like what you are trying to accomplish.

Later!
Mr. Ed
Very Happy

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:09 am 
scorcher1967

I have seen the first one, but not the second. Same idea, but he started with a coupe. Going to be fun...

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:36 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: