Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

221 V8 63 Is it suitable for driving in today's world ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
mwhitmore

221 V8 63 Is it suitable for driving in today's world ?

Just saw an ad for a 1 owner 63 - runs good, looks good

221 V8 with 3speed No O/D 4 door sedan white.

My 2003 Buick is a constant nightmare and I'm thinking of dumping it
in favor of this Fairlane.

Anybody have experience with driving one with the tiny V8 in today's
world ?

My 2dr HT is still a basket case so driving it is out for a while. If it works out
I can get my Fairlane Fix every day !

...MJW

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
roger

drive on

12 yrs. ago i drove my 62 with a 221 in it almost everyday, in the summer that is.
I did switch out that damn downdraft vent tube, early version of PCV system!
I actually found the Ford bulletin about modifying the downdraft tube set up for less pollution & better idling, gas mileage & it seemd to have an effect.
the little 221 ran just fine, was so simple to tune, i could probably be still driving it.
But, at the time, i knew so little about Ford V-8;s i thought it was a 289!
so, i added a 4 barrel intake & a 600 holley, which had almost no effect, except on gas mileage.
Then i did some research ,finding out it had an early F;lane with a 221 in it.
I know that the guy who bought it from me, is still running that motor!
so, if your not power hungry, and it runs well, i;d drive.
If you do decide you want more perfromance, don;t bother trying to soup up the little 221, just not worth the returns

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:33 am 
mwhitmore

Thanks Roger

Thanks for getting back to me.

As long as it can get down the road without getting run over and gets decent
mileage I won't mess with it. Dual Exhaust with H pipe and a pair of Smithys's maybe - but I wouldn't do the 4bbl and cam thing to the little micro motor in a 4 door.

I can get my nailed to the seat by acceleration fix when the hardtop is done.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow.

Any idea what kind of mileage to expect ? I drive 40 miles one way - mostly at 45 - 65 mph to work. Elevation about 6000 Car does not have OD trans.

...MJW

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
roger

tuning

No, not really
I know the downdraft tube fix did make it run so much better, idle & did increase gas mileage.
And of course put a petronix unit in it, toss those points.
If you stay out of it the little 221 is pretty efficient.
That said, i was running 3:00's in the rear which helped.
That little motor is still running!!
Mind you ,it only had 42,000 miles on it when i pulled it.

Post Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:12 am 
Will_64Fairlane

I'd think that would be a decent car to drive around in. A 221 is no stump-puller, but it's enough to get you moving down the road, and better than any of the straight-sixes they put in the Fairlanes. Just think small if you decide to do any modifications, take the typical recommendations for a 302 and multiply them by 3/4. If you do dual exhaust, you'd probably want to use something like 1-3/4" pipes (pretty small, I'd probably go with a 2.5" single pipe). You wouldn't have to stick with a 2-barrel, a small 4-barrel would work. A 390 Holley would probably work well. As for the intake though, you'd probably need something even smaller than a Performer or equivalent, not sure what to recommend there. It sounds like you're thinking the other way, but you could get good results putting some 289/302 heads, a Performer intake, and a 500 carb, but of course that would move the powerband higher in the rev range, an iffy prospect if we're talking about unknown internals. I do think it'd be fun to build a little 221 screamer. The smaller bore means even less reciprocating mass, so it would have no problem revving to the outer limits. Of course the options are only as limited as the budget...
Just for driving around though, I'd go with a 2.5" single exhaust, points conversion with a decent coil and new wires. Most headers are going to be too big for this, even the HiPo manifolds, I'd think, would be up there. It's too bad because the original log manifolds don't do much good power-wise; I'd definitely want something a little better there if I could find it.
Anyway, I wouldn't let the 221 deter me if the rest of the car is solid. The 3.00 gears will work pretty well for cruising at speed, a little lower would be nice off the line, but too much and you'd be wanting the OD.

Post Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:03 pm 
roger

Do keep in mind almost any later 289 head has larger valves than the little 221, so you may be in to notching the cylinders to clear the valves.
the larger single exhaust is a good idea & those old log manifolds can be opened up
I know a fellow who used log type manifolds with hours & hours of porting to make em breath but keep the sleeper image.
But, really, the returns are hardly worth it,
Just tune it, elect. igntion & drive it worry free

Post Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:01 pm 
Will_64Fairlane

Shoot, I forgot about the valve size issue; probably a better choice would be the 260 and early 289 heads, which would give you bigger valves, but, as I recall, are still small enough that there aren't an clearance issues. I was just doing a little dreaming out loud anyway, if performance is the main concern, then a 221 isn't going to make much sense no matter how you look at it. I just think it'd be fun to have a motor that you could rev to eight grand and then enjoy the guessing game the ensues when you tell the non-initiated it's got a 221. I'll have to put that on the list of things to do when I have so much money I don't know what to do with it. Wink

Post Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:32 am 
Bkin

I put three kids thru high school with a 221. It had 72000 on the car when I pulled the motor and trans. Your mileage will be better than mine, I had the two speed that seemed to eat gas. 10-12 mpg town.

Post Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:58 pm 
johnc118

You can pickup an HEi distrib. off Ebay for $50.00.

It has Chevy innards, I put one on my 260 and its a drop in, just mark where the rotor is pointing and put the new dist. in that position.

I would also reccomend the 2 1/12 inch single exhaust due to the offest gas tank.

Then the next thing is Rod and Custom front disk brakes and MP Brakes large rear drums.

You need the extra braking power!!! I have a friend that has my old car and he did the Granada change out and you have to get tierod ends etc.

Rod and Custom is direct bolt on. 11 inch disk.

I would junkard shop and get a power booster from a Geo Tracker its small and has all the parts you need just mark which line goes where.

I cannot say for the 221 but if I keep my foot out of the carb and run no faster than 65mph the 260 gets 24-27 mpg!!!! Thast almnost as good as my 07 Grand Prix. with a V-6 over 65 mph and it drops to 16.

john

Post Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:52 am 
johnc118

You can pickup an HEi distrib. off Ebay for $50.00.

ttt

Post Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:53 am 
mwhitmore

Thanks everybody !

I ended up not getting the car. They want $3000 for it and I only have $2000 - they wouldn't budge.

There is another in a car lot that is priced at 1995 - but it's really scruffy looking and runs bad.

Guess I'm stuck with the 03 Buick for a little while longer.

Post Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:41 pm 
Overdrive

Since this was not the car for you, perhaps you can post the contact information, so the rest of us can take a look.

Post Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:13 pm 
roger

Geo

John: Are you using a Geo booster or just see it on a show car?
if you are, do you think that little thing holds enough fluid for fr. discs and/or drum/disc rear?

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:09 am 
johnc118

Geo Booster

Yes, its beig enough for Grenada disk and drum brakes.

Here the poop, I sold my 63 Meteor S-33 (owned it for 27 years) to a man in Canada. he is the one who put the Geo MC and booster on it and the Grenada disk. He did all the change out and I have sen pics of the change out its slick and small to boot.

Here's the link to the post on the Geo Booster.

http://6263meteor.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=tech&action=display&thread=1185569063

One man says the little booster and the OEM drums work great too.

Had Aire posted this soon enough I would have went with the GEO Booster in place of the Rod and Custom MC. At any rate the brakes are the first thing to work on on this chassis platform!!!

John

Post Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:42 pm 
karkev

My daily driver was a 1991 Toyota Corolla but it's at a local mechanic's shop waiting to get it's transaxle fixed.

My commute to work (36 mile round trip) is currently shouldered by my '68 Dodge three days a week and my '64 Fairlane two or three days (Saturdays).

Both cars are at least 40 years old, run original engines and trannys, are two barrels, run Pertronix ignition, have at least 150k on 'em and both do fine. I have converted the Fairlane to an electronic fuel pump and will probably convert the Dodge as well - I already have the pump but not the will Wink .

Some Permatex peeking out of the Dodge's 383 oil pan leads me to believe it's engine has been gone through though I have no way of knowing for sure. I had the tranny rebuilt in back in March though.

I rebuilt the Fairlane's 260 in June 1996 to stock specs (even put standard rings back in it and they were tight Very Happy ) but the Ford-O-Matic is untouched since leaving Kansas City on 24 Oct 1963.

The Dodge will get better mileage if I keep my foot out of the pedal but the Fairlane averages much better overall though it cries for a second shift.

I can not park either of 'em at a gas station or restaurant without someone striking up a conversation about them. The '68 actually gets more comments 'cuz crew cabs that old are just pretty rare.

Next time you make a payment on a late model car think about this : the Dodge cost me $300 (yes, $300) at a garage sale in June 2006 while the Fairlane cost me $800 in February of 1996 from a local old car trader which is $300 more than I gave the original elderly female owner for it in February 1987 when I bought it the first time.

I traded the Fairlane off for a 1965 Falcon in October 1988 and I regretted it the second the deal was sealed. I swore I'd get it back - took me eight years but I did Very Happy .
(daughter's car)

Mauser & Gew88 collector.

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:33 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: