The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:31 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

ball joints

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
beatnic

ball joints

I have a 63 fairlane
My local mechanic said that my upper ball joints were shot

i called an autoparts store and they said they had 2 sets, one with arms and without

about 1 dif in price

ive heard of 3 and 4 bolt ball joints but not this..
\

are 63 upper ball joints an easy job

Post Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:00 pm 
fair67cp

The upper joints can be replaced as a complete arm assembly, or I believe the originals are rivited in and by grinding the rivits you remove the old and using bolts replace with the new ball joint. I bought a kit from PST as this includes the upper arms with ball joints. The kit gave me more components replaced so the cost was justified.

HTH

Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:01 pm 
Rickm

The upper joints can have a little play, your shop manual will tell you how much. The lowers must be tight. I haven't done this on my fairlane yet but I've had a lot of Mustangs and it should be the same. First I used a piece of 2x4 to put between the upper a-arm and the frame rail, this will take the pressure off of the a-arm. Then I used a air chisel and removed the rivets. After a couple of hits with a hammer the upper poped out of the spindle. Sorry I should have said to loosen the castle nut a couple of turns and use the hammer BEFORE you use the air chisel. Now you might find that the spindle doesn't want to drop enough to remove the joint so you might have to lossen the sway bar or in one case I had to push back up on the bottom of the spindle and add a piece of decking wood to get a little more room. I hope this helps ,any other questions just e-mail me at pfmengel@yahoo.com Rick

Post Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:18 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: