Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Member Projects

My 65 Build
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RottnRanch

My 65 Build

New here and just starting my 65 2 door sedan build. Purchased car about 6 months ago from a guy who was asking $2000 for it. Has the original 289. He added a new radiator, Chrome water pump, polished elderbrock performer manifold, polished elderbrock 600cfm carb, and face off cd player. when I first looked at it, the back window was shot. evidently a former lady friend of the previous owner was rather upset at him and decided to relocate a brick to the front seat from the outside with no regard for classic automotive glass. you can see ths in the first pics. I was able to get him down to $1800 for a final price on the car due to this and the car not being drivable as it had one spot of inherit fairlane rust on the passenger side front frame rail. The passenger side strut rod bracket had totally rusted off of the frame, but there was only about a 5 inch long piece of rust there and I knew the entire frame rail could be purchsed. The true test was finding the back glass.

Pics from the night I picked her up:

Notice the back glass

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dc39b3127cce81f9342d5bc000000016108AasnLhm3Ztb[/img]

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dc39b3127cce81f9342b5bc600000016108AasnLhm3Ztb[/img]

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dc39b3127cce81f9341adac700000016108AasnLhm3Ztb[/img]

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dc39b3127cce81f934b6da6b00000016108AasnLhm3Ztb[/img]

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dc39b3127cce81f9357b1b0e00000016108AasnLhm3Ztb[/img]

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7dc39b3127cce81f9354c9a0900000016108AasnLhm3Ztb[/img]

All in all not a bad deal i thought

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:33 am 
RottnRanch

Help

OK, can someone tell my how to get my pics to post? I have several more to share. Thank you

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:44 am 
jaysch

can't help you there this site doesn't add photos well.

1972 Mach 1
1966 Fairlane 500XL (460-C6)

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:30 am 
John64

your picutre url's are not correct. They should end in .jpg or .gif .bmp etc.... your links seem to come from a server and not the direct link to the picture.

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:00 pm 
John64

nice car by the way.

I copied and paste your url and saved picture to my file, see url is a direct link to picture

http://members.shaw.ca/musclecars/65fairlane.jpg

Post Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:05 pm 
RottnRanch

Think I figured it out. Here are the pics

From the night i picked her up.

Post Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:04 am 
RottnRanch

Updates

And here are some pics after we finally started some work on her a couple of weeks ago. We have removed all of the exterior trim, of whihc MOst will NOT be replaced. The trim was in good shape. But I am building a custom Fairlane ride for cruising fun with the family. I love the lines on this car without the trim. More than likely the Ford badges on the hood and trunk, 289 badges, fairlane badges and 500 badges will be among the few trim pieces to survive. At this point the back glass has been replaced as well. That was a chore as I was quick to find through research and many swap meets that rear glass for a '65 sedan is hard to come by. My last resort was a salvage yard here locally in Central Florida that specialized in classic fords. He let me in on a secret that most others did not know or share. IN that all or most glass for 64 and 65 fairlanes is the same as long as the model is the same (sedan, hardtop, etc.) anyway, he had a good back glass from a 64. I bought it for a hundred bucks. It fit and now I am happy. I have also removed the rusted piece of right front frame rail where the strud rod bracket was attached. Luckily on the frame was rusted and the bracket is salvagable. More updates to follow as work progresses.

The Bracket and frame rail peice:

Post Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:13 am 
scotta66gt

Nice horns!

Boy, dem be some fancy horns you got on that thing!

Nice looking glass, too!

Take it easy, Scott

Post Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:57 am 
John64

unless you are going to fabricate your own frame rail and strut mount pad, you can either cut one off a rust free donor car or buy new repro part from Crites http://www.critesperformanceparts.com/

Post Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:19 pm 
RottnRanch

Thanks for the heads up. I was planning the same you suggested, I was just looking at autokrafters. I was unaware of crites. here is the one from autokrafters:

http://www.autokrafters.com

FRONT FRAME RAIL FULL 65-70 MUST
Part Number: MC124FR
Price: $149.95 USD

seems to be about the same price. Wonder if the qaulity is the same. I only need to replace the right front. the others have some surface rust starting but are actually fine. However I am somewhat of a perfectionest, so I will probably have all 4 rails repalced and purchased at the same time. Again thanks for the heads up.

Post Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:58 pm 
mygirls63

Might do some checking there before you buy the AutoCrafter rails, If the 65 is the same as a 64 frame rail, the torque boxes from a Mustang will be entirely different.

65's I havent seen, so you might compare a 63-64 to a 65 car, and look at a mustang.

The frame pieces from Crites were a nice piece.

I can't say the same for their lower radiator support though. Someone forgot how to read a tape measure. It required some rework to make fit.

I installed a left side rail as my car was rotted out (63). Unfortunatly as I started cutting it got worse on that side. I ended up with just a 6" stub sticking out from the firewall when I finally found solid metal. I made my own frame rail (a friend of mine is a break press operator at an aircraft plant).

On the right side I just needed the pan the strut rod bracket fastens to.

That I made as well.

The Crites frame repair rail will require the splice to be welded under/inside the shock tower, so a novice will have a tough time making a proper splice there.

It is easier if you are notching the towers, as that exposes the top of the frame rail to weld.

Post Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:30 pm 
John64

I agree with Scott. The Mustang frame rail is different. If you use the Mustang frame rail, you will still need to fabricate the mount pad that is welded to bottom of frame rail for strut rod bracket. The Crites frame rail already has that mount pad on it and it is the same price. The front rail from 62-65 Fairlane are the same.

Post Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:56 pm 
RottnRanch

Wow see that's why I started this thread, a wealth of knowledge here. Thanks for saving me the time and money. Looks like I will definately be looking to crites for the parts. I most likely will be sending out for the welding repair. I am just going to do the prep work. I am a complete novice when it comes to welding.

....Update...Got most of the interior out the other day. Will post pics in a few days. the Dismantle is coming along well. Hope to get a few more hours to spend on it this coming weekend.

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:24 am 
karkev

When I first got my '64 as a teenager in the late 1980s I thought the '65 was the most plain Jane looking thing Ford ever cranked out. Now I like 'em just 'cuz they are the rarest of the '62-65 body plus they are actually rather clean styled.

You have an awesome old ride and I'm glad ya found another back glass Laughing .
(daughter's car)

Mauser & Gew88 collector.

Post Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:22 pm 
RottnRanch

Updates

Been a while since I updated this. Here are some pics of the progress. Most of the interior minus the carpet and front seets has been removed. The engine and transmission were pulled last weekend, and I tore the engine down completley this week. Should be ready to go to the machince shop by Monday. Hope to have the rest of the body stripped and ready to go off to the body shop by mid october. Enjoy the pics and let me know your comments.

Engine and transmission removal with a freiend with our 2 14 year old sons

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:49 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: