Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Modifications

1966 Fairlane sway bar problem

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Beetonfairlane

1966 Fairlane sway bar problem

I recently installed a 390 in my 289 Fairlane. The oil filter is hitting the sway bar. Is there a difference in the sway bars? All help would be appreciated[/list][/quote][/b]

Post Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:00 pm 
scotta66gt

66 Sway Bar problems

Howdy. Yep, it's a problem alright, but you can get around it. First step is to try a Wix 15156 filter, it's smaller in diameter and might work, depending on which one you have.

Then if that's too tight you need a truck oil filter adapter mount like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-FE-390-406-410-427-428-OIL-FILTER-ADAPTER_W0QQitemZ320145350179QQihZ011QQcategoryZ80737QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Don't get the 45 degree one from a 4x4. The truck adapter above may work by itself, or you may need to combine it with a Ford Racing adapter that rotates like this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FMS%2DM%2D6880%2DA50&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Then you're set! Of course, if you prefer you can go with a remote oil filter mount. I'm currently running a 1-1/8" Addco bar and I love it, but it was a pain to get it to clear the filter! Good luck, Scott

p.s. Here's a pic...

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:21 am 
Beetonfairlane

Thanks for the info. Just wanted to double check, do i need both the truck and the swivel mount?. Just what is the difference betwen the 289 and the 390 cars?

Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:46 pm 
scotta66gt

Sway bar fitment

Howdy. I dunno 'bout the SB cars, I assume the just have more room. On the FEs, I think the truck adapter by itself would work if you could find a stubby oil filter, a stubby FL1 type filter. Maybe take the mount to an auto parts store and start opening boxes and see what works, I think it's a pretty common size since I think the Wix 15156 is for a Taurus. What I found was the Wix on the truck adapter hit the inside fender of the car when you tried to mount it. It would be OK mounted, you just don't have room to fit it and screw it in.

I don't really like the Ford Racing angled adapter, I consider it temporary. If you find a stubby filter please let me know!

Good luck, Scott

Post Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:48 am 
dsfdlish

or you used galaxy mounts or incorrect hole on frame mount... I did this (bangs head)

Post Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:07 pm 
CMPRSD

I don't know that the sway bar is different for a SB car vs an FE. But my 428 has its oil filter in the stock location and I have no issues with interference with the sway bar. dsfdlish could be on to something...

Post Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:32 pm 
dsfdlish

I am!!!! haha I brain farted when I replaced my 390 with a 428. the mounts only fit 1 way(well you can put them on backwards but its obviously wrong) the top piece of the car side of the mounts have 2 holes, use the rear most holes... they might be from the 65 galaxie the 390 was in too though... Ill look for pix...

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:19 pm 
dsfdlish

there on the driver side mount
[/img]

Post Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:22 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: