Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Member Projects

66 Fairlane Project

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dtox66

66 Fairlane Project

I ordered my seat covers from Mustang Market. They were easy to work with and were able to put together the colors I wanted. Total price for the seat covers shipped was $450. It took a total of 12-15 hours to finish. We put new 2 inch foam in the back seat, both bottom and back. I also rebuilt the rear seat frame, as it needed some of the frame repaired.

After going through the whole process, I guess I would do it again. 2nd time is always easier right? My hands and arms are sore and scraped up, but it looks good.

The dash cap I ordered from Vehicle Interior Parts on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/66-67-1966-1967-Ford-Fairlane-NEW-Dash-Pad-Overlay_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ40017QQihZ006QQitemZ160130638224QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I think it ended up costing $110 shipped. Its an abs (plastic) cap that goes over your dash. A rebuilt dash is probably the way to go, but considering what upholstery shops want for that, I am pleased with how this product worked. I had to trim my original das a bit to make it fit.

I dont have a close up, but you get the idea. I'll take a few tonight and put them up.

My hub caps kept coming off everytime I would corner hard, hit a bump on the freeway or even sneeze. I picked up a pair of used magnum 500's that came with pony caps. I need to get the ford/fairlane caps and sell these ones. Now I can drive around and not worry about killing someone in the other lane with a flying hubcap of death.

I found an original dash speaker on ebay and although it didnt work, I wanted it for the template. I retro fitted 2, 4 inch speakers on a new piece of hardboard and hooked them up. Sounds better now. When I got the car it had 5 inch speakers in the front kick panels. It was hard to hear the music at any kind of speed without distortion. I added an amp and a sub in the trunk and turned down the bass to the front speakers. Sounds great now. Not too loud, I dont want people trying to break into my car. Its loud enough that you can enjoy the music going down the highway though. I'll take pics of that set up and post later.

Next project, suspension.

Last edited by dtox66 on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:58 am 
thefairlaneman

seat covers

Do they have covers for a 2 door 64 with bench seats in the correct color/patern? thanks I need some bad.

Post Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:20 pm 
Bill62

That is nice ride

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:57 am 
SD44

i can sympathize with you 100% about the sore hands! i recovered mine this summer and my hands were so raw afterwards, it hurt just to pull up my pants, lol. but it feels good doing it yourself, doesn't it.

Post Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:52 pm 
roger

So this is a dash cover, like just dashes, or?
i;m looking at 300-450 bucks price tag!
yours sounds like a good fix,
do you like the fianl look?

Post Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:02 pm 
dtox66

quote:
Originally posted by roger:
So this is a dash cover, like just dashes, or?
i;m looking at 300-450 bucks price tag!
yours sounds like a good fix,
do you like the fianl look?

Yeah its just a dash "cap". I am pleased with the overall look. I would say for the price its a good fix. It takes some modification of your original dash, but mine was cracked anyway, so some grinding here and sanding there was no big deal.

Post Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:53 pm 
dtox66

July 08 Update

Lots going on with the Fairlane. Installed a new carb, coil, msd box, fan shroud, power steering hoses and polished the valve covers. They were painted when I got the car. Still need to do the same to the intake when I get a chance.

Fit nicely between the braces.

New outside mirrors on both sides.

Originals had pitting and some crazing. Also replaced the vent window handles.

New door panels, arm rests and pads. New XL door emblems.

Dyed the rear quarter panels to match the new front door panels. Still need to add a few more coats of dye to get the proper match, but wanted to see what it would look like. Going to dye the front kick panels to match. Ordered up another 6 cans of dye from Dearborn.

Also put on new springs in the front (dropped 1 inch) and Air shocks on the back. Still need to add a leaf to each side or get all new rear leafs. I think thats about it for now. Its been a fun summer going to all the cruise ins and such. The golden super cruise is one of our favorites. Check it out.

http://www.goldensupercruise.com/

You can see some photos that I took on page 10 of the June 7th cruise. Forgot a memory card this last weekend so I didnt get any pics. Over 1000 cars there. 3 or 4 fairlanes.....fun times.

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:27 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: