Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Member Projects

recovering my seats
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
SD44

recovering my seats

i'll add more pics as i load them. nothing about this is brain surgery, but it's just tedious and time-consuming. all of my fingers are raw and sore from tugging and pulling the cover, and from removing all those hog rings. i hated to have to re-use that poly on the rear seat back, but the new covers actually have some poly sewn in where you sit and lean back at. i've taken one bucket seat apart and that was pretty time consuming, too. i know they're supposed to be tight, but all the covers just seemed too small. and it was nearly impossible to move the cover around once it was put on to get the lines and edges matched up perfectly.

the buttons attach on the backside with these weird type nuts.

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:50 am 
SD44

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:23 am 
dtox66

looks good

Where did you get your covers from? I am thinking of doing mine soon.

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:55 pm 
SD44

i bought a supersaver kit from dearborn classics. i covered the driver's bucket seat today, that was alot more work than i expected. need a few days to let the soreness go away before i tackle the passengers seat, lol.

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:18 pm 
dtox66

nice

did you replace the foam on any of the seats? i was thinking of just getting some generic foam for the back seat and cutting it to fit. post up some pics of the fronts when you get a chance.

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:40 am 
SD44

Re: nice

quote:
Originally posted by dtox66:
did you replace the foam on any of the seats? i was thinking of just getting some generic foam for the back seat and cutting it to fit. post up some pics of the fronts when you get a chance.
you could definitely get just some plain flat foam to do the rear seats, because none of that had any special cut or shape to it. but the front buckets are special cut poly. what you could do is put a flat piece underneath the buckets original poly and fluff it up some. i'm finished with one bucket but forgot to take pics, i'll make sure to take pics of the next one.

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:10 am 
dtox66

quote:
Originally posted by SD44:
you could definitely get just some plain flat foam to do the rear seats, because none of that had any special cut or shape to it. but the front buckets are special cut poly. what you could do is put a flat piece underneath the buckets original poly and fluff it up some. i'm finished with one bucket but forgot to take pics, i'll make sure to take pics of the next one.

I had planned on buying the pre cut foam for the front buckets. Dearborn, has them as well as ebay. I think my back bench might have to have the springs redone, there seems to be some sag on the drivers side, it might just be the foam and the old vinyl though. I had a guy quote $1000 to redo everything at the Denver Car show last week. He does custom interiors for classic cars. We want to keep the 2 tone coloration if possible.

But I know I can do it myself for a lot less if I just go with what is availabe/stock. I wish they made white covers for these, red might be too much "red" you know?

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:51 am 
SD44

quote:
Originally posted by dtox66:
quote:
Originally posted by SD44:

I had planned on buying the pre cut foam for the front buckets. Dearborn, has them as well as ebay. I think my back bench might have to have the springs redone, there seems to be some sag on the drivers side, it might just be the foam and the old vinyl though. I had a guy quote $1000 to redo everything at the Denver Car show last week. He does custom interiors for classic cars. We want to keep the 2 tone coloration if possible.

But I know I can do it myself for a lot less if I just go with what is availabe/stock. I wish they made white covers for these, red might be too much "red" you know?

don't they offer them in parchment? i believe parchment is like an egg white.

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:53 pm 
dtox66

quote:

don't they offer them in parchment? i believe parchment is like an egg white.

Is that a white? I thought it was more of a tan. That would be awsome if it is an eggwhite color. I'll get em for sure!!!!

Went for a drive tonight after failing to get the choke cable installed. Bought one at the parts store and tried routing it though the accelerator hole in the firewall. Too many twists to get a good response. The carbs got a manual choke, but no cable on it. I might get a new set up and have it tuned to this altitude.

Any luck on the other bucket? If you had to do it again, would you do it yourself?[/quote]

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:22 pm 
SD44

check and make sure on that parchment before you take my word on it, i just always thought it was an off-white.

i don't have any regrets at all doing it myself. an upholsterer had priced me $700 to redo all the seats; i got the seat covers, carpet, headliner, doorpanels, armrests, kickpanels, and sound deadener for $1,100. no way i could've got all of that piece by piece for that. like i said, it isn't brain surgery recovering these seats, just time consuming. still haven't redone the last bucket, hope to get around to it by the end of the week.

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:17 am 
SD44

finally got some free time to work on my buckets again. got the bottom covered yesterday.

at the bottom of the side seat trim, there is a plastic spacer that keeps the trim from being caved in when you tighten. also, all of the trim screws are long except the ones that go here on the bottom, they're only about 1" each.

the bolts that connect the seat to the back on each side have allen heads on them, and a 5/8" nut on the inside. you have to hold one side to keep it from spinning.

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:15 am 
SD44

un-curling the hog rings. these rings are really just a nail with no head that's sharp on each side.

there's one of these rods on all 4 sides, they go through a sleeve on the cover and you stick the hog rings around them and into the frame holes.

inserting the rods into the sleeves on the new cover.

this is where you will get sore fingers. i ran the hog rings around the rod inside the sleeves and through the holes in the frame. i pinched the rings closed with a pair of pliers.

Post Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:20 am 
dtox66

How'd the buckets turn out? I found an ebay store that will do white interior for me. They are sending out samples to check the colors.

Post Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:58 pm 
SD44

look good as new, now i just have to replace a couple of the broken studs on the tracks so i can put the seats back in the car.

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:25 am 
dtox66

Nice!
I found a mustang parts place that does fairlane seat covers in white. Waiting to see samples before I pull the trigger on the white ones.

Post Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:50 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: