Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

need help for rear end parts

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
jelawsonjr

need help for rear end parts

I pulled the rear end out from under my 63 hardtop and started cleaning it for a freshen up. During this pull I found that my rear axle seal was leaking on the drivers side. No problem, I'll just replace and while I'm in there, I'll take care of the bearings too. Well, the bearings went fine with a little coaxing but the axle seals given to me by the parts shop are too small. They searched and searched and could not find a set to fit. My seal OD measurement is 2.265 and the axle shaft measurement is 1.365. I've been looking online and can't find them anywhere. Any ideas? I need help!

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:47 pm 
mwhitmore

63 Seals

Could be someone replaced the rear end with something from a mustang, comet, falcon, couger etc - is there a national seal number on the old seal ?

Back in the 70's / early 80's when I worked at the parts store I used to look seals up by crossing the number in a cross reference guide. today if it isn't on the computer they can't find it.

...MJW

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
jelawsonjr

It's not impossible that the rear end is from another car, especially in light of this situation. The rear end does "appear" to be origianl as the gear ratio matches the original setup (3.0 gears).
Problem I'm having with cross reference is there is no marking on the seal other than C/R. Also, many parts house don't stock parts like these any longer so it's hard to pull to compare.

Post Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:13 pm 
fairjohn

The rear you have cant be that uncommon. If it's an 8" with 28 spline axles any parts store should have them. Seems if they found bearings that fit they could find seals to match. Maybe you got someone behind the counter that's too green for this stuff. Napa will have them, take the old seal in and talk to someone that knows this stuff, not some young kid.

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:32 am 
jelawsonjr

John,
I agree with your the first part of your message, it puzzles me that they get the bearing size right and then they don't cover the seal. Ford made millions of these rear ends and they should be as common as lug nuts.
I will give "props" to the guy behind the counter. He was an older gentleman and he didn't just give up when we found only one seal part number listed. He searched, measured, and called several suppliers for over an hour. Trouble is, these parts are getting rare in demand and many suppliers don't even have good data. Thank God for Currie Enterprises! They seemed to know exactly what I needed. The parts are on the way.

Post Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:23 am 
jelawsonjr

For those that might need this info later, here is a response I recieved from Bob Manel from the Fairlane Club of America. This man has forgotten more about Fairlanes than many of us will ever know.

In brief, your 63 (assuming it has the original axle housing) takes a 2-5/8" O.D. seal. NAPA had them under part number CR13875, but its on-line store listed the number as NOS13875. Cost is $9.69. This is a rubber seal vulcanized to metal with tension spring behind the rubber opening.

If you would prefer an original, Green Sales (800-543-4959) has them. These should be NOS. The seals were make with leather and require being soaked in SAE 10 oil for 30 minutes before installing. But, these seals have great shelf life, so buying them is not a problem. You will have to ask for C2OW1177A.

The article explains why there is so much confusion at the parts counter. Three seals are generally listed. One is an error in its for the 1960-61 "Fairlane" full-size Ford. The other two are intermediate Fairlanes. The numbers above are good through 1962-63 and up to about 12-1-63 for 1964 Fairlanes. After that the seal is smaller (CR13700 or C4OZ-1177-A).

Post Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:11 am 
thefairlaneman

[quote="fairjohn"]The rear you have cant be that uncommon. If it's an 8" with 28 spline axles any parts store should have them. Seems if they found bearings that fit they could find seals to match. Maybe you got someone behind the counter that's too green for this stuff. Napa will have them, take the old seal in and talk to someone that knows this stuff, not some young kid.[/quote]I agree 100%. Ive seen guys at dealerships who know little about matching up seals.......Always take the old one with you if possible. Very Happy

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:10 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: