Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:59 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

fuel gauge help

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
SD44

fuel gauge help

i replaced the tank sending unit in mine today hoping to get the gas gauge to work. well it didn't. all the wiring seems to be intact from front to back, any other ideas what could be wrong? does the voltage regulator on the instrument panel control the gas gauge? had a guy tell me to turn the key on, then make the end of the wire that goes onto the sending unit touch the body of the car; he said if the gauge goes all the way to full then it's the sending unit and not any wiring.

info?

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:43 pm 
Overdrive

Some of your information is correct. Touch the fuel tank sending unit wire to the frame of the car and check the gauge. Make sure the contact point on the frame is clean. With maximum current flowing, the indicator should read full. Before condemning the sending unit, try connecting a ground wire between the edge of the fuel tank and the body of the car.

Frequently, corrosion has formed between the fuel tank and the lower part of the trunk floor, preventing electrical contact.

Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:32 am 
SD44

quote:
Originally posted by Overdrive:
Some of your information is correct. Touch the fuel tank sending unit wire to the frame of the car and check the gauge. Make sure the contact point on the frame is clean. With maximum current flowing, the indicator should read full. Before condemning the sending unit, try connecting a ground wire between the edge of the fuel tank and the body of the car.

Frequently, corrosion has formed between the fuel tank and the lower part of the trunk floor, preventing electrical contact.

i had removed the tank last year and applied spray undercoating all over it, maybe that's what keeping it from grounding. if i removed the undercoating from one small area where it touches the car should that give me ground?

Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:15 am 
Overdrive

My opinion - keep the undercoating. You may try cleaning the straps that hold the fuel tank in position. I still think the best solution is to attach the ground wire from the edge of the the tank to the body of the car.

Did the gauge work when you touched the fuel transmitter wire to ground?

Larry

Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:32 pm 
Bkin

Ground!!!!

I had the same problem last year after I re-conditioned my tank and added a new sending unit. Final solution was to attach a separate ground from the tank to the body.

Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:54 pm 
Fair 67

I believe there are no tank straps, none on my 67 Fairlane anyway. Easiest would be to add a ground wire. But if you dont want to you can clean the bottom lip of the tank that rests on the trunk bed. I am not sure if just cleaning off a small area would do it..
Be sure to check your guage when you ground it out it moves pretty slow to the full so have someone watching it for you..

Post Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:30 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: