Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:25 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

need advise on 66gt I;m looking at

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ford88

need advise on 66gt I;m looking at

I have been looking for a 66-67 fairlane and came across a 66 gt 390 4-speed ck the vin is as follows,63d a 86 4/s vin 6av0s ITS black on black.It has a running 390 and 4-speed car moves its all there.It will need both quarters and one rear frame rail,all the floors were done already,there is some rust around the gas tank but not to bad.it will need front seats done and carpet and headliner.all gt emblems are there dash pad is great and 4-speed consel is in good shape.the motor is not original.the price is 6000 firm my question is this car worth close to this or should I keep looking,from what I see it looks to be pretty rare........ED

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:29 pm 
wped-tv

If a rear frame rail is rusted out and both quarters and you assume the floors were rusted out because they were replaced then i would check it over good and the torque boxes for sure because it sounds like it is pretty rusty. It sounds like you are willing to spend some money to fix it up, maybe take the 6000 and put in the $$ you were going to use to fix it up and look for another one. You dont see as many of them as some cars but i wouldnt put them in the rare class. I had a 67 fairlane gt and it sat for a few years and the drivers side rear rail was rusted and both torque boxes. 390 4speed. sold it for 500. should have kept it would have loved to had the hood for my 66. but it was 800 miles away in my brother in laws garage and well it had to go. If you could post some pics it might be eaiser to come up with a fair price for it. 6000 seems a little high to me. You should be able to get a nice non gt for 6 grand.

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:35 pm 
hot428ford

I think it is a fair deal , not a killer deal but there's not a better muscle car with room in it out there. The #1 question is factory options mine has factory air , power steering , power disc brakes and a straight body those options are hard to come by . Your going to replace the interior , repaint and restore anyway ,correct ? A interior will cost 2,000$ , fenders & paint 6,000$ and the rest is how far you want to go ?? rechrome bumpers and trim 1200$, dash rechrome 800$ ,then from tie rod ends to new leaf springs ....I was driving around in a good looking 335 HP 390 but wanted to redo some parts of the car just a little bit ..Now 428CJ w/ 500HP 2x4 intake 4:11 posi all running gear as new head light bezels & tail lights the radiator upper support ,shock top brackets and even hood hinges are chromed.. Have about 27,000$ in it ..But at 12 seconds in the 1/4 with the ac on ain't bad and it looks better than new !!!!

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:35 pm 
Fair 67

I am not going to tell you what to do but I know that I got a very nice 67 Fairlane 500 and I would never sell it for 6000. I also just picked up a 67 GT and probably paid too much. It does need alot of work but some was done already like the floors. My frame rails and quartres are good though. But you really need too check the cowell area. If he will let you remove it and look in there real good it is probably rusty in there and that is hard to fix. If it is real bad you can see it rusted through way up under the dash. Or just spray water into the cowell and see if it floods the front floor boards, even a buchet of water will work. I believe the 67 GT are a little harder to find but thats just my opinion. I drove over 800 miles to go get mine but I been lookin for a car like that for many years. It had all the original color and options I wanted. In short if you want it and feel the price is right buy it. They are getting harder to find and the prices are not going to get less.

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:03 pm 
jemmons

Pricey IMO

What will it hurt to look a little longer or maybe pay a little more for a nicer car? If you have the skill to handle all of that body and frame work, then you may be in better shape. I bought a (rolling) incomplete basket case for 4k and for the most part the car has VERY little rust. It was worth the wait to find this car. Good luck

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:09 pm 
KD7CSY

careful of where opinions are comming from

I wouldn't fathom to guess what it's "Market" value is in N.Y. state due to being on the west coast and once you go west of the rockies it's hard to find a state that salted their roads in the winter.

Your talking about what sounds to be in the 4k range here in Oregon due to our lack of salt usage and many solid survivors.

I would also make sure door tag matches fender stamp of vin as door tags are way to easy to get repops.

For a west coast example this is what NADA reports for my area on values of the car.

Low Retail Average Retail High Retail
Base Price

$5,050 $11,850 $20,800

Options

390/335 HP V8 Engine 30% 30% 30%
4 Speed Transmission 10% 10% 10%

TOTAL PRICE $7,070 $16,590 $29,120

Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".

Some of the vehicles in this publication could be considered "Daily Drivers" and are not valued as a classic vehicle. When determining a value for a daily driver, it is recommended that the subscriber use the low retail value.

Note: This value does not represent a "parts car".

Average Retail Value
This vehicle would be in good condition overall. It could be an older restoration or a well-maintained original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A "20-footer".

High Retail Value
This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent condition. Note: This value does not represent a "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle *.
* "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven. It would generally be in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a climate-regulated facility.

Hope this helps,

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:09 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: