Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:23 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

tires,difficult choice;brakes

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
fairlaneperugta

tires,difficult choice;brakes

Hi everybody,
I want help from you to do the best choice for tires for my 66 fairlane.I dont want to use spacers.I have 15X7 wheels(americanracing,those that have the circles).I think about 225X60X15 for 4 wheels.What you recommend?
The othe think I want to ask you is about the brakes,the 66 fairlane came with no brake vacuum pump like the 67,you thin is necesary to change the system or those original brakes make it well?

thanks in advance,
Joel

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
cereal69

Hello. Your tire size choices sound good to go. I prefer the larger wider tires on the rear but it all depends on taste. You may need to consider the backspacing of the wheel as well. If it is too shallow you may not be able to fit fat rubber on it. The more backspacing the more rubber surface you can have. As for the brakes, not a clue.
HOpe this helps some.
Custom Pin Striping By Von Hot Rod
Lots of Vintage Cal Custom Accessories

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:19 pm 
GerryProctor

Manual brakes work just fine. If you want to go with a vacuum booster power brake then you need quite a few parts, like the pushrod, the bellcrank assembly, the booster, and a power master cylinder. All this does is make it easier to press on the brake pedal. It does not shorten the stopping distance. You can also go to Master Power Brake and get an aftermarket kit.

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:25 pm 
scotta66gt

Sounds about right!

Howdy. I've got an extra set of 4 15" Ford rims I've pieced together, 2 7" and 2 6-1/2". I'm trying to decide between a pair of skinny slicks or a set of four good street tires, and the latter is probably the better idea, so I've been looking for the same thing as you.

Hopefully the rims you have have a backspacing of 3.75", or in the 3.5 to 4 inch range.

I've found the BF Goodrich g-Force Sport to look good, they are V rated with a 340 tread wear rating. Only $76 each from the Tire Rack. They are only about 2% shorter than the stock 215/75 stock equivalent and I don't think they'd rub if the backspace on the wheels is right.

Loved your burnout pix! Good luck, Scott

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:55 pm 
East End Classics

I have had good luck fitting some bigs in the back of 66-67 fairlanes with a 15x7 with 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 back spacing or 15X8 with 4 1/2 to 5 inch backspacing. You may have to cut the axle bump flange a bit for the bigger tires but its not a big issue. You could get a 255X60-15 or 275X60-15 but for the latter, you need high lift springs from the JC Witney catelogue. Not to high though, a nostalga drag look.

255X60-15 with either rim set is about the max size without tire rub, but you do need springs that are good and stock hight.

Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:35 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: