Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:50 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Front end alignment

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
jelawsonjr

Front end alignment

OK guys, here's a test for the forum...I'm just going back together with my complete front-end overhaul. Shortly, I will be looking for a shop to fine tune the frontend alignment. Question: has anyone encountered any of the well-known alignment establishments when it comes to aligning a 62-64 Fairlane? As many of you know, aligning the upper control arms requires special tools and I'm wondering if any of the shops today stock such tools.
The reason I'm asking for a national chain-type alignment shop is that I'm in Texas and a suggestion of Joe's shop in Omaha won't do me much good. Shocked
I've seen to pictures of shops that have attempted this alignment without the right tools, it ain't purty!!!

Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:57 pm 
fair67cp

I would find a local alignment shop that has a lot of history to it. Where I am there is a shop named Bonebrake alignment that has a history back to the 40 and 50s. They even have pictures on the wall of the original Bonebrake (last name) driving a racing car. I watched them do the alignment and they used tools I don't remember seeing ever in my life. Anyway, do your homework there has to be older shops in your area.

Mark in Md.

Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:08 pm 
jelawsonjr

Good idea...Thanks!

Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:27 pm 
jemmons

I agree

Look for an older shop with an older guy doing the work. If that fails then get all of the information you can find about the alignment procedure and take it to the shop. That may give them what they need to get it done. Good Luck.

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:52 am 
jelawsonjr

Yep, I agree...the thing that really concerns me most is the tool that is needed to do the task. There is a special tool needed for the Fairlanes and I'm afraid most shops won't have it.

Post Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:46 am 
RadMan

You say you have had all your front end a part and now going back together? If that is the case you should not need the special tools. I spent a lot of time fabricating those tools from Bob Mannels drawings in the Fairlaner magazine and then when doing the alignment found that the freash clean parts moved so easily that the tools were not needed.
If you dought that I have a good alignment job I can assure you it is straight as an arrow over 100 mph with the Granada spindles. Caster is great on this car and camber settings have not caused any tire wear in two years.

Post Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:38 pm 
jelawsonjr

I can see your point, the new parts aren't locked in by dirt and road tar any longer. However, I would think that once the springs are placed on the upper control arm perch, the pressure will lock the upper shafts into position. Since the upper shafts are knurled, they don't slide around to easily once any pressure is applied.
It would be nice if I could figure a way to eyeball the alignment to get it close or dead-on for the camber setting before I torque down the upper shafts and add the springs. Caster is adjusted by the strut bars so that is easily adjusted without special tools.
I'm sure there are some shade-tree guys out there that would have some tips.

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:12 am 
jmgford

quote:
Originally posted by jelawsonjr:
Caster is adjusted by the strut bars so that is easily adjusted without special tools.

Caster and camber are both adjusted by moving the upper control arms.

You are correct about the serations causing difficult movement with the spring pressure on. The shop manual suggests fabicating a steel bar to wedge between the upper control arm and frame rail that raises the upper control arm approximately 1/8" to allow it to move freely. I did this, and I also have the factory aligment tools and it still was tedious. (This was on a rust-free California car with all new parts.)

If you jack the car to its approximate ride height and set the camber so it is slightly tipped in at the top using a carpenter's square aginst the tire and and make the front & rear control arm shaft slots equal, you will probably be in the ballpark. Set your toe-in with a tape measure after you install the springs and you should be fine to drive it to your alignment shop.

Just make sure you have an experienced alignment guy, not some kid used to "set the toe and go" late model alignments.

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
jelawsonjr

You're absolutely right! My Bad...I can see where the upper control arms are able to shift forwards and back to affect caster.
It's going to be a bugger getting this sucker aligned!!! Mad

Post Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:28 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: