Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:01 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

FMX OR C6 BEHIND MY 351C ?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
steelfinattic

FMX OR C6 BEHIND MY 351C ?

HEY GUYS.
I HAVE A 66 500 2DR SEDAN WITH A 351C FROM A 1970 MACH 1 MUSTANG INSTALLED. IT IS AN ORIGINAL 4V ENGINE AND IS MOSTLY STOCK EXCEPT FOR A LITTLE BIT OF A CAM. WHAT I WAS WONDERING IS DOES ANYBODY HERE HAVE AN OPONION ON WEATHER I SHOULD USE THE FMX OR A SMALL BLOCK C6?. I CURRENTLY HAVE THE FMX IN IT AND IT DOES GREAT .IT SHIFTS HARD AND SEEM TO HOLD UP PRETTY WELL BUT MY PROBLEM IS THAT IT HAS AROUND 50000 MILES ON IT AND SINCE THE OTHER DAY I HAVE NO REVERSE. I TALKED TO THE LOCAL TRANNY MAN AND HE SAID EITHER THE BAND ON REVERSE BROKE OR THERE IS A SIMPLE FIX THAT A PIECE IN THE VALVE BODY MAY HAVE BROKEN . IF IT IS IN THE VALVE BODY I DON'T EVEN NEED TO PULL THE TRANNY HE CAN FIX IT IN THE CAR. I HAVE A REBUILT SB C6 IN MY SHOP THAT WAS REDONE AROUND 5 YEARS AGO AND NEVER INSTALLED DUE TO AN ADDITION TO THE FAMILY AND NO FREE TIME OR EXTRA MONEY SO THE CAR HAS BEEN IN MY GARAGE FOR 5 YEARS. THE GUY THAT REBUILT THE C6 IS THE LOCAL TRANS MAN AT THE FORD SHOP AND DOES SOME OF THE OLDER STUFF ON THE SIDE AND HE SAID THAT THE C6 SHOULD BE FINE EVEN THO IT HAS BEEN SITTING COVERED UP WITHOUT FLUID IN IT FOR MORE THAN 5 YEARS. I PLAN ON REMOVING THE ENGINE AND TRANS LATER THIS SUMMER TO DO SOME MORE DETAILING ON THE ENGINE AND ENGINE COMPARTMENT.I HEAR THAT THE C6 DOESN'T HAVE AS GOOD OF A SHIFT AS THE FMX BUT MOST PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THE FMX DUE TO IT WEIGHT OF THE CAST IRON BODY SO DOES ANYONE HERE HAVE AN OPONION ON WEATHER I SHOULD HAVE THE FMX FIXED OR SHOULD I TRY THE C6 ?

Post Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:04 pm 
Scott66gta

it's a toss-up

IMHO.. if the FMX can be fixed easily, I'd stick with it. Bring it in and have them look at it. the FMX is a stout tranny. I've abused many over the years. If you take it out, put a new front pump on it. The lack of line pressure could be your problem. Reverse it the first to go. If hyou caught it soon enough, it may not be fubar just yet.. When you drop the pan, you'll have a clearer view of the condition. does the fluid smell burned? If it needs a rebuild, then i'd look for another option, like an AOD. The C-6 is a fine tranny, but it will suck 60 hp off your motor, as the internal friction is high. If you're going to build up the engine later, say above 400 hp, then the C6 is the route. The AOD will get you an OD gear for mileage. These are available in great shape right out of the salvage yard. look for one out of a mustang or truck, as they are calibrated for a firmer shift.... Let us know what yuo do...

Post Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
SD44

most people are down on a C6 because they lull when they shift instead of shifting hard, but not all are that way. mine came out of a 67 GTA and it shifts pretty hard, when the tranny guy rebuilt mine he said he'd never seen one made like mine. i don't know about the 60 hp drain, i've heard 30 hp most of my life. if you use that C6 of yours make sure you stand it on the tailshaft and pour some fluid down into the front pump to prime it.

Post Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:34 pm 
66Ragtop

The FMX is bullet proof with it's cast case. I prefer it when I build a vehicle to really run hard. Yeah, it's heavy and alittle slower, but you won't break it! Also, getting parts for it can be another minor downfall. Rebuilding it yourself is tricky, so take digital pics if you are a do-it-yourselfer! Fairbanks has the best shift kit for it by the way.

Good Luck,
66Ragtop

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:00 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: