Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:33 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

1966 FAIRLANE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WIRING

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
steelfinattic

1966 FAIRLANE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WIRING

HI THERE EVERYBODY. Question
I CURRENTLY HAVE A 66 FAIRLANE 4DR DONOR CAR . IT IS A REGULAR 500 WITH THE 289. I WENT TO PULL THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER OUT AND THE WIRING HARNESS DOES NOT HAVE A PLUG THAT UNSNAPS FROM THE MAIN HARNESS UNDER THE DASH YOU HAVE TO REMOVE ALL THE LIGHTS AND PLUGS AND LEAVE THEM IN THE DASH. IT DOSEN'T LOOK TO HAVE BEEN ALTERED IN ANYWAY IT ALL LOOKS LIKE THE ORIGINAL FACTORY TAPE .I HAVE OVER THE YEARS PROBABLY PULLED 20 OF THESE THINGS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS. I HAVE A 66 AND A 67 BOTH 500S AND THEY BOTH UNPLUG AND THE HARNESS IS STILL INTACT ON THE CLUSTER. THIS DONAR 66 IS A 3RD OWNER CAR AND I SPOKE TO BOTH PREVIOUS OWNERS AND THEY HAVE NO MEMORY OF THE CLUSTER EVER BEING PULLED. ALSO IN THE TRUNK WAS A BUNCH OF PARTS FROM ANOTHER 66 AND SO HAPPENS THERE IS ANOTHER COMPLETE HARNESS WITH FUSE BOX AND EVERYTHING AND IT IS THE SAME WAY. THE CLUSTER WIRING IS MADE INTO THE MAIN HARNESS. MAYBE THESE WERE SOME OR THE FIRST RUNS ON THE 66 AND THEY LATER INSTALLED THE TYPE THAT YOU COULD UNPLUG AND LEAVE ON THE CLUSTERS FOR EASIER REMOVAL. IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS EVER SEEN OR HEARD OF ONE OF THESE PLEASE GIVE ME A REPLY. Confused

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:34 pm 
LiLMike

I have run across that type of wiring back in the 60's. I use to work in a "Full Service" gas station with a Mechanic on Duty...Remember those? Full tank of gas, windshield wash, oil & tires checked...even got stamps all for about $5! Anyway, i remember pulling everything out of the cluster on quite a few cars. For the life of me I can't remember which ones. Boy, this getting old isn't for wimps!

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
jmgford

It's an early vs. late production thing. Mid 1966 there was a change to the plug-in type cluster.

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
1320lane

Sounds like my '65 Mustang cluster.

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:05 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: