Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:21 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

62 Fairlane brake conversion help for dummies needed

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Billy C

62 Fairlane brake conversion help for dummies needed

Mostly new here so be kind.
I have a 62 Fairlane I am making into a weekend warrior muscle car. What is done so far.
- Scarebird front disc kit installed, went very well except grease seals, sourced seals from Timken.
- AOD non electronic tranny and stall converter installed and drive shaft fitted, 3.50 rear gears, B&M floor shifter
- 3" lift leaf springs/bushings/Lakewood traction bars
- 91 Mustang roller 302 installed -
- roller rockers with 1.7(?) ratio rockers
- 3/4 race cam so it has some lump-lump at idle
- long tube headers
- Accessories swapped over to a serp belt
- 3 core huge rad with electric fan (deleted belt driven fan)
- Front suspension completely redone with slightly beefier springs

Brakes are not my forte. I need any and all help you guys can throw my way. If there is someone who has done this before and has a list of parts, diagrams, links, a supplier with a prefab kit etc then please step up. I'd like to run all new lines bumper to bumper as the old lines are 50 yrs old. The Scarebird front disc conversion uses small rotors and Chevy single pot calipers. Currently manual brakes and a vacuum booster would be sweet. Saw a Pirate Jacks? 8" booster/master cyl for $300 that claims to fit the 62. With the wiper motor and shock tower clearances I am suspect. I'm a good wrench on most things but brake hydraulic conversion is not one of them. I want to avoid the newbie mistakes as well as running my 62 into the back of someone's vehicle as 62 parts are hard to come by. Thanks in advance for any crumbs you can throw my way.

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:43 pm 
Billy C

Forgot to add I am a bit concerned about available idle vacuum for the booster what with the lumpy cam.

Post Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:57 pm 
Billy C

No help here?
Looking at the firewall there is no freaking way the vacuum booster will clear the wiper motor or the valve cover.

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:04 pm 
Billy C

No joy here. Found (mostly) what I needed over on HAMB. I'm outta here.

Post Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:13 pm 
roger

MC/booster swap

Hey Billy, took me sometime to find this old Woody site, I think others may be having the same issues, anyway You can use an MC & power booster without cutting up your 62, just took me sometime to finf what works, is all
I;m running wildwood 4 piston fronts, Currie single piston rear discs, which are basicly Explorer rears. At the time I didn't want to notch my towers, which I ended up doing anyway, for better choice of headers.
Using a Mustang 11, p.booster & a Ford Aluminum/plastic MC, you see these MC;s on all kinds of fords from Cr.vics to Mustangs, this one is off a 98 GT, the booster/mc combo fit with about 1/4" of clearance.
Brakes are simply awesome!
cheers

Post Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:13 pm 
Billy C

Thanks Roger. I did get it all sorted with some help. I envy your front brake setup. I am running 15" front Cragars and only see room for the chevy brakes I installed. 03 iirc Camry discs rear. Small diameter brake booster, barely fits. Barely being good 'nuff. I'll move on to different wheels later and am leaining towards bigger rims for bigger brakes. Don't much care for low profile tires that are in vogue. Maybe I'll fins some middle ground. Moving on to other things in the quest to make this thing a daily driver. It is close. Very Happy

Post Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:24 pm 
Billy C

Thanks Roger. I did get it all sorted with some help. I envy your front brake setup. I am running 15" front Cragars and only see room for the chevy brakes I installed. 03 iirc Camry discs rear. Small diameter brake booster, barely fits. Barely being good 'nuff. I'll move on to different wheels later and am leaining towards bigger rims for bigger brakes. Don't much care for low profile tires that are in vogue. Maybe I'll fins some middle ground. Moving on to other things in the quest to make this thing a daily driver. It is close. Very Happy

Post Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:24 pm 
roger

Booster mistake

I don't know if Billy is still on here, our anyone?
I made an error in telling you about my brakes, the booster I'm running is off a Suzuki swift or Geo, same car. I got the idea from a guy over at crazy for mercurys. He;s running the Geo booster/MC combo & swears hes got the best brakes hes ever run on his Merc.
He sent me the pattern to mount the booster to a Merc/Fairlane just requires elongating a couple of firewall holes, no big mod.
I picked up a couple of Suzuki/Geo booster/MC;s & found the Ford aluminum MC bolts right up to the Geo booster. We tested her out in a huge parking lot & was so impressed with new stopping power!
If you google falcon/geo boosteri nstall there are a bunch of How to;s & reviews on how simple & great the combo works.

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:56 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: