Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

spring compressor for 62-65 cars

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
purf_man

spring compressor for 62-65 cars

I need to remove some springs from my 62 and was wondering what is the best compressor for it? I have used the external ones that are like to threaded rods with clips and they sucked bigtime. I have also tried the internal ones (with the hooks on them) and they don't seem to fit in there too well...should I be trying to compress the whole spring to remove in the compressed state or should I jsut be compressing it into the shock tower then removing the upper arm and relaxing it?

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:33 pm 
mygirls63

I rented one from AutoZone. Was a nice heavy duty compressor correct for the application.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools-Garage-and-Equipment/Coil-Spring-Compressor/_/N-264t

Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:21 pm 
Bill62

I got mine from autozone too. BECAREFUL they like to let go at the wrong time

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:07 am 
purf_man

I have been trying to find one local with the plate like that but all anyone has is the hooked end for both ends.

I guess maybe I should just down and buy one

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:24 am 
AustinTX63

My mechanic and I pulled the springs on my 63. We tried the Autozone tool, but the springs were so strong that the puller was jumping its theads. Another spring puller failed and sent the spring shooting across the garage. Finally we found a tool that had squared off threads... it was a nice puller device off a tool truck (not sure re: brand). That bad boy did the trick. Be careful...

Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:32 pm 
purf_man

I ended up just cutting the coils (parts car) I was wanting to save them if I could but I couldn't get the shocks unbolted to save my life.

new drop coils are on order.

looking in my shop manual the ford tool looks like it just rides on the small lip of the spring cup. does not look safe to me at all.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:08 pm 
ponch0v

I also used the one from Autozone but only used the lower hook portion.

I bought a 36" length of grade 9 allthread (metric) same thread as the hook block.
Threaded the allthread into the hook block and locked it using a jam nut.
Fabed up a 3/16' plate that goes over the top of the opening in the shock tower were the top of the shock passes thru. Scribed the shape of the opening on the plate and welded 4 tabs just on the inside of the scribe marks. This will not let the plate slide around and keeps it centered on the shock tower.
Last, drill a hole in the center of the plate big enough to pass the allthread thru.
Add a couple of washers and a nut to the top of the allthread to draw the spring closed.
use LOTTSA grease between the washers, plate and nut. And on the allthread too.

Also, make sure the hooks are on the second to last coils, centered in the spring and the hooks are set so they are facing east/west (pointing at the wheels).

Works great. But still be CAREFUL!! If I remember, I had to compress the Fairlane springs about 7-8 inches. Just did my Mustang and only had to compress them 5".

Post Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:56 pm 
purf_man

so are you guys compressing them with the arm off the car when you put them on? I still have my front end kit sitting here and might be tackling this farily soon I think.

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:04 pm 
CompactFairlane

Weird since I've swapped several sets of front springs on 1966+ Fairlane/1967-+ Mustang type cars along with the older Falcon/Mustang models using the center thread OTC compressor but I attempted to do a set of coils on a 1965 many years ago Fairlane and gave up, had a shop finish the job.

Post Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:47 pm 
purf_man

I have been thinking of getting a big hunk of of ACME thread and thrust bearing and making up something.

I am thinking a plate for over the shock tower (shock mount removed) with maybe a rubber pad or a pivot of some sort and a plate under the control arm in place of the lower shock mount.

I figured a few bucks invested and maybe some one would be interested in renting it?

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:16 pm 
PaleRider

This one will do the job:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-6494-Clamshell-Strut-Spring-Compressor-Tool-/181321379649?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item2a3798af41&vxp=mtr

NB: avoid the cheaper copies, the Fairlane frontsprings are too heavy to take any risks with cheap tools. The cheaper models are also too small for this job.

Post Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:33 am 
roger

ride height

The easiest, or safest solution is to buy Eaton Detroit 2" dropped springs, takes a minimum of compression to install them compared to stock, plus you end up with a much cooler ride height!

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:14 pm 
purf_man

I picked up some drop springs two years ago (still in a box in my bedroom)

hoping to get the car off the dolly in the summer of '15

still working out of state and have some other irons in the fire (repower on my SBC S10, building a cafe racer, and a 4wd Toyota)

Post Thu May 22, 2014 8:31 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: