Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:52 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Member Projects

Aussie motor power
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
purf_man

Aussie motor power

I know I have been missing for about a year on here but was out on the road working and collecting some parts for my '62...

This is my mockup block and head. I have a crank and all for it but with my longterm layup it had some moisture get to it and not sure if it is savable. which is ok since it is only a 200" motor (my other two I picked up are 250")

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/crossflow/DSCF0311.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/crossflow/DSCF0312.jpg

I have another carb one with a 2V on it right now and a C4 behind it. I have a bell for a T5 (and a couple T5's) also.

this is the finals motor going in once all the bugs of the swapped are worked out...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/crossflow/xflow.jpg

250" EFI Aussie XFlow motor. Cleveland based head (canted valves and 1.73 pedestal rockers) Alloy head from the factory....weighs in under 400# dressed.... and the best part is the EFI intakes...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/crossflow/DSCF0186.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/crossflow/TURBO6003.jpg

they use an injector boss and seperate runners. I picked up a spare boss and fuel rail so will be doing a fabbed sheet intake (makes it easier since I don't have to worry about injector machining)

they put out 200 HP stock and can make 250HP with a cam/header/CAI on the stock ECU.

Most the bits are US spec EEC4 (has a goofy hybrid bosch/ford distributor though) US 250 brackets bolt on it and it uses US 200 motor mounts. Takes a SBF zero balance flywheel. Bellhousing is OZ only and just a larger version of the high mount 200 bell. OZ had a alloy waterpump but a US cast iron one will fit it.

I think this could make for a fun cruiser.....

Oh and I have a nicely sized Turbo to put on this one too. So with a decent set of internals I am shooting for 400HP (about where the turbo will peter out)

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:22 pm 
purf_man

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/crossflow/DSCF0341.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/crossflow/DSCF0342.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/crossflow/DSCF0343.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/purf_man/crossflow/DSCF0346.jpg

dropped in my mockup to see how the 4bbl intake clears. looks like it should work out but might need shock tower shave just for added clearance.

things are going slow since I still have other projects to work on around the house. I would like to get the front frame rails patched up by May if i can so I can stuff a motor in the car for "good"

Post Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:52 pm 
roger

cool

One of those puppies at my machine shop getting a turbo install
He tells me it was making 330hp injected, without the turbo
Looking for 550 with!
I think he;s putting into a Aussie Falcon

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:49 pm 
Rnch67

nice motor!

I read somewhere that the oz 250 head that bolts to the 200 6cyl came with a " tubular exaust manifold". I don't see it available anywhere though. Is there any performance gained by using it on a stock 200 6 cyl? I know, headers but, I want to keep it quiet and don't want to spend alot. Maybe also the exaust divider.

Thanks, Mark

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:26 pm 
purf_man

well the EFI motor is in for its first test fit ever. funny I have owned the motor for two years and it is just now getting in the car for the first time...

drivers tower brace hits the runner a bit.
but it sits on stock motor mounts.
clutch fan will need to come off it looks like.

need to work out a throttle setup on it. looking at rotating the thorttle body 90* (square mount pattern) so I can put a cable over the plenum. will need a 1.5" t-body spacer to get it out farther so the TPS will clear the rocker cover. still messing with it some. others have used a stupid long cable and routed it around the back of the motor and into the stock bracket from the passenger side (aussie car is RHD)

Post Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:26 am 
purf_man

well time for a bit of an update.

spent a year on the road working and while on the road spent one weekend home a month (plus some holidays) doing a 350 EFI swap on my 97 s10.

so I took a break from the car and regrouped....

also made some money.....so regrouped some more.....

thought about a custom plenum on the intake (the runners are removable from the injector boss) but figured I would go cheap and jsut modify the stock carb linkage to pull a short cable that will work the throttlebody. will just toss a tab off the shocktower brace (going to try a crites export brace to help me clear the #6 runner)

I have a fox chassis set of brackets I am adapting to the motor. I have a 88 turbocoupe power steering pump (remote res) that will be powering the hydraboost setup and a borgeson power steering box (early mustang box will bolt to the frame with two bolt holes....just drilling the 3rd in the frame)

parts are on the way for the front suspension rebuild (giving up the tube lowers and just doing stockers for now) new crosshsafts are in the mail as we speak. going on vacation for a week over easter and ordering parts like crazy once I get back (disc brake brackets, front end kit, swaybars, coils, export brace, etc) hoping to maybe have the car on the ground by the end of may if I am lucky.

Post Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:22 pm 
roger

Still at it or life getting in the way?

Hows it going with your build,
You've been quite for sometime, how bout an update!

Post Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:09 pm 
roger

Turbokangaroo

Puffball - Hows that aussie motor working out for you?
did you give up on aussie Power?

Post Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:32 am 
purf_man

I have been on the road for work for the last 7 months. Won't be back home on the car for another year or two. Building a motorcycle right now since I can't get my fairlane here.

Post Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:48 am 
purf_man

sorry was postnig from my phone....

I have been out here in KS for the last 6-7 months working. I have already logged over 1000 hours since new years (been averaging over 60 hours a week....over 70 a week for two months)

I got out here in September (right when the weather starts cooling off in TN to where I can work a full day in the garage) and will be out here for a couple years. I was home for half of thanksgiving week to pack some things to bring out here for my stay.

I have a little space here to play in but not enough room to bring the car out (my "garage" has no power) so for the last couple of months I have been working on my resto-mod CB550 bike project (hoping to finish it this summer)

While I haven't had time for the Fairlane (it is a few hundred miles away) I have been stashing away some decent money and buying some toys (TIG welder) I should be done out here in another year or two and then I will get back to the car (I think I willl be taking a few months off work to get the floors and sheetmetal done)

I need to get off my ass and order some parts for it (new leafs, disc brakes, roller rockers, glass)

I might bring my V8 S10 out here once I finish the bike to try and fix (think I have a cracked head(s) and needs some wiring attention) Trying to knock out my other projects while I am here so I can focus on the Fairlane when I get back.

I am taking a week off at the end of April and will be poking around the garage some then (msotly some quick fab work on the bike and maybe start working on my rotisserie for the car)

Post Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:11 am 
roger

good for you

Welll, its good to be busy, & stashing the bucks away
good luck!

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:03 pm 
purf_man

I was home a couple weeks ago and managed to trim back more of the rotted quarter and drop panel on the drivers side (was working under the car and made it easier to get under it)

I am making a rolling frame to put the unibody on its side so I can work the underside (need to patch quarters, rear frame sections, and widen wheel tubs)

I welded up a front and rear subframe to bolt in place of the transmission hanger and the front leaf monts. To them I bolted a "bulkhead" of 3/4" plywood, a 2x8 and another section of 3/4" plywood. Right now I just have the one for the front bolt up and under the car and ran out of time to finish the rear (it is all cut and just needs clearanced and assembled)

These mount the car farily high (about 2' off the ground) raising the center of gravity so it takes less effort to roll the car over.

I am looking at taking anothe rweek off work in October to hopefully finish the rear bulkhead and then mount some casters on the all thing so I can roll it out of the shop to make some of the clean up work easier under the car (degreasing, sandblasting and painting) I barely have enough room to roll it over in the garage right now but might add casters on the side so I can roll it over outside and then push it back into the garage.

I need to get my drop leafs ordered this summer and pick up a larger pressure pot blaster for doing these larger areas of the underbody.

Post Tue May 14, 2013 8:47 am 
purf_man

sorry thought I had put updated pics in here at one point...

Brace is a heavily modified Crites unit (only used the plates and firewall member) It is a little taller than I need but clears the hood and gives me room for a taller valvecover and the coils that will be on it.

Post Tue May 14, 2013 8:52 am 
mygirls63

Where are you at in Kansas?

What kind of work are you doing?

Post Fri May 17, 2013 10:52 pm 
purf_man

I am in Burlington KS (working at Wolf Creek Nuclear)

Post Wed May 22, 2013 10:24 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: