Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:54 am   

Bookmark this site!

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

strut rod bushings

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Billy C

strut rod bushings

or radius rod bushings. I ordered a set of Prothane 6-1204 which according to the internet sites fit a 62 Ford Fairlane. NOT happening. The i.d. is smaller than the rod. I like the idea of the red urethane bushings but will go with whatever. Suggestions/part #s?

A little background... 62 Ford Fairlane originally a 170 ci I-6 and 3 on the tree. Transplanted a lightly built roller 302 and an AOD tranny. Tearing out all the front suspension now as the rubber bits are original, 51 yrs old.

Post Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:27 pm 
GerryProctor

Rubber works just fine and causes no fitment or handling issues. Marketing for "upgraded" parts has conditioned us to believe the factory-spec stuff is inadequate and their part offers some substantial improvement. This is frequently not the case in a practical sense. New rubber is very stiff and allows the right amount of compliance. If the car has a full cage and all chassis tuning occurs in the suspension -rather than some flex in the body- then yes, you want to control the suspension movement in every way you can. Likely in your case, the restriction in engineered motion in the strut will put stress on the body and other parts. Finding weak links and all that.

Post Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:29 am 
Billy C

Thanks, stress on other components makes sense. Suggestions on a source for the rubber bushings? I hate waiting and then get the wrong part in.

Post Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:43 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: