Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:49 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

12V, key on source?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave_C

12V, key on source?

I have a 67 Fairlane GTA. I am adding a Digital 6 ignition box along with a recurved Duraspark distributor for the 390.

Where is a good source to connect the small hot wire from the box? What wire or terminal do you guys tap into that is 12V with key on?

This is just to turn the ignition box on. The heavy red 12V wire is attached directly to the battery.

Thanks

David Cole

Post Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:23 pm 
GerryProctor

I'm not familiar with the Digital 6 box, but the analog 6 box connects direct to the battery. On/Off is a function of the trigger. If there is no trigger, the box is technically off (on is a function of the discharged capacitor and once the cap is charged, the box is not drawing current) and needs no switched circuit. If the digital box does indeed need a key-on circuit, then you're probably going to be over the amp capacity of the fuses in the factory box except for possibly the cig lighter or instrument panel.

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:10 am 
fairlaniac

Digital 6

I have a Digital 6 in my '66 Fairlane. For the small red wire I used the original wire from key to coil. Heavy red directly to my battery and black is grounded to my driver side head. No issues, runs great. I am using a Pro Billet distributor and Blaster 2 coil.

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:36 am 
Dave_C

quote:
Originally posted by GerryProctor:
I'm not familiar with the Digital 6 box, but the analog 6 box connects direct to the battery. On/Off is a function of the trigger. If there is no trigger, the box is technically off (on is a function of the discharged capacitor and once the cap is charged, the box is not drawing current) and needs no switched circuit. If the digital box does indeed need a key-on circuit, then you're probably going to be over the amp capacity of the fuses in the factory box except for possibly the cig lighter or instrument panel.

The Digital boxes do have an additional hot wire that needs 12V key on. It doesn't pull many amps (only about a 18ga wire) it just turns the box electronics on/off with the key. The majority of the power goes direct from the battery with the heavy read wire.

quote:
Originally posted by fairlaniac:
I have a Digital 6 in my '66 Fairlane. For the small red wire I used the original wire from key to coil. Heavy red directly to my battery and black is grounded to my driver side head. No issues, runs great. I am using a Pro Billet distributor and Blaster 2 coil.

I considered that...but.....I thought that wire was a resistor wire that lowered the voltage to the coil. I think I may have problems with that wire. With key on, engine off I am only showing about 3V to the pos side of the coil. With engine running I am showing a little over 10V at the pos coil terminal.....Battery is almost 13.5 when running.

Post Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:42 pm 
roger

12Volt key on source

I needed 2, 3 Switched 12v power sources, so i ran wire off the center term. of the key switch to a little fused panel, mounted where the Battery used to be.
From that panel, i have 6 switched 12V. sources for- El. choke, dig. box, El fan trigger & whatever else that will need a 12V switched source.

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:32 am 
PaleRider

I`m running a 9awg directly from the battery to a relay and use the original cable to activate the relay.

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:38 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: