Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

question about crites
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dsfdlish

happy w my hood.

Post Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:00 pm 
64 Thunderbolt

Has anybody ever used any AF/X components stuff?

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:17 am 
purf_man

I bought the shock tower brace for my 62 along with the lower brace.

The upper brace looks like it will need the pinch weld bent down (they do not angle the arms downward when they weld them on) I am going to end up cutting it all apart and rewelding it together (I have to redo the whole drivers side to clear the hydroboost master cylinder anyways) I will prob end up putting in a removable twoer-tower brace while I am at it (I have about 4" of clearance over the top of my inline six)

One of the lower brace brackets was bent too narrow and will need reworked also.

Subframe connectors are ok so far.

Some pictures with the instructions would have been nice.

oh I grabbed the T5 tunnel hump. I don't have the factory consol but the hump is kinda short (shifter base sticks up through it and will need a large boot to cover everything esp if you are running a adjustable throw shifter)

Post Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:49 pm 
ponyboy

I have their rear bumper for a '64 which fit fine. Too bad there is no way to chrome fiberglass. The old bumper was badly damaged, and the best price I could find on a restored rechromed original was $800. So 'glass it was. I have some holes rusted through the drivers floorboard, the only structural rust on the car. I was planning to use one of their repair panels. I may need help with that. I'm a nuts and bolts guy, not really into bodywork, would rather build an engine.

I have found fiberglass in general to be poor quality, even the expensive stuff. I have seen those fiberglass cowl hoods get all warped and twisted. I drag race an '85 Camaro, with lots of fiberglass parts. These were not high dollar parts, and the fit is terrible. I had to do a lot of grinding to make them fit at all. These parts would be completely unacceptable for a street car, but they work ok on the track.

When I first got my '64, the left front fender was smashed in. I went to a local salvage yard and found one that fit fine. I recommend trying to find used original steel body parts if you can, unless you specifically want fiberglass.

Post Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:13 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: