Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:31 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

9" axle question

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dave67fd

9" axle question

Hello All,

I purchased a used stock? 9" from a 67 to replace the 8" in my 67.

I can freely turn the yoke about 3 1/2 full revolutions in either direction (with the axle's turning) and then it just stops and won't budge. Confused The axle's though will still rotate independently. I also get a bit of racheting when i turn the axles especially when holding one. I haven't checked yet but i believe it maybe quite low on gear oil or mabe even abit dry.

Can anybody shed some light on what the issue might be? I will be pulling the axles and pumpkin anyway but wanted to see what i might be getting into.

I have a spare 9" from my bronco i can use the center section if needed.

Thanks
Dave
2004 Escape Limited
2006 F250 Superduty

Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:59 pm 
GerryProctor

A ring gear bolt may have backed out of the case would be my guess. You're going to have to pull the pumpkin to know what the problem is.

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:11 am 
6T4LaneSportCoupe

Dave,
I am going to do a 8 to 9" swap in my 64. What are the dimensions of the rear in the Fairlane. I am looking to put a 9" out of a 74 Bronco under my 64. What are the distances between the spring perches on the 67? Is it the same rear as a 64? As far as the 9" you picked up, there is no way to tell what is wrong without tearing it down. Easiest could be a bolt backed out. (Not a common problem if it has never been apart since the factory) Worst could be broken teeth with chunks floating in the oil or a broken tooth jamming up the works. 3.5 turns sounds about right for something stuck on the ring gear. Either way, even if it starts to turn freely on its own I would not trust it to drive down the road until you take a look. Good luck!

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:57 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: