Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:52 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

ignition switch and lock cylinder?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RickRacer

ignition switch and lock cylinder?

Hey Guys, I think it's time to order a ignition swich for the 66 but after reading some information on this site it talks about a lock cylinder also......I'm guessing the lock cylinder is part of the ignition switch?

I turned the key to start her today and nothing happened then I did it again and she started right up.....I think I just had my warning.

Can I just replace the ignition switch and keep the cylinder lock? I'd like to keep the stock key if possible.

Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:36 pm 
Scott66gta

yes, but...

take the new and the old to a locksmith.. they'll set you right up...

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
RickRacer

Hiya Scott, Why do I need to take the new and old to a locksmith? I thought I could keep the old lock cylinder and hook it up to the new ignition switch.....that way I keep the same key.

There must be something else I don't know since you mentioned taking it to a locksmith.....

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:16 am 
Canus

Ignition switch replacement

You can replace the switch only and use your current lock cylinder which means no trip to the locksmith. Best choice would be to replace both and have the new cylinder recoded to use your current key which is what I did. This assumes your current key isn't overly worn. When you buy the new switch buy the kit that contains both switch and cylinder as this will allow you to save a few bucks over buying the parts separately. This way you can save the cylinder for use later if it becomes necessary.

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:35 am 
RickRacer

I see what your saying, now I need to order the cylinder since I only ordered the switch. No big deal since I've got so many other things going on right now.

Wonder if I can have my old lock cylinder rebuilt if need be?

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:41 am 
Canus

Ignition switch and lock cylinder

You can have the pins and springs replaced in your existing cylinder if necessary, however if they are that worn the body of the cylinder where the pins ride will probably also bee worn. Might as well replace the cylinder with a new one then have a locksmith recode it for your existing key.

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:31 pm 
Scott66gta

since it's a Ford,

you can grind one side of your key to you new lock cylinder, and the other side to fit your doors. Cut a little notch in te ket fo area so ou know what fits what... Cheaper than locksmith, if you can live with it...

Post Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
RickRacer

Thanks guys for the help.....got the new lock the other day and waiting for a good time to pull out the old stuff. Just thinking about laying on my back and all the blood rushing to my head making me dizzy doesn't thrill that much anymore but it's gotta be done.

I'll take the new and old set up to the locksmith and have it done right.....

Thanks agian guys.

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:46 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: