Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

1967 Fairlane 500 carb/fuel filter issues

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Purkey

1967 Fairlane 500 carb/fuel filter issues

I am running a Mr. Gasket "Chromed" fuel filter (less than 50 miles on it) between the fuel pump and my Edelbrock carb. I noticed that at ~50mph the car starts to miss/hesitate but runs fine at idle through 30 mph. After popping the hood, I noticed that the fuel pressure was 2 psi and the filter housing was hot to the touch. I am thinking that with the housing heating up and the pressure drop across the filter that I am probably flashing the fuel and getting minor vapor lock. I tried to move the filter to a less hot spot but driving in traffic and in the alabama heat everything is hot in the engine bay. Now to my question, has anyone moved there fuel filter to the fuel line coming from the tank (like most modern cars)? Preferred locations (near driver's door, closer to the fender, closer to the tank)?

Thanks for everyone that has replied to my questions. I've had the car for 20 years; the last 15 sitting in various garages. I couldn't afford the total body off so I am fixing as the money comes in (and out just as fast)!!

I'll try to get some pictures up soon

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:08 pm 
iowafordman

Does it fire up on a hot start, or does it crank for a while? I would think vapor lock would affect restarting when hot more than while driving. It sounds like fuel pressure is the issue. Carbs need 5-7 psi, especially Edelbrocks. I'm having the same trouble at highway speeds with an Edelbrock 600, a new tune up, and a new stock fuel pump. Edelbrock mechanical street pumps are set at 6 psi, so I'm going that route.

Post Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:52 pm 
Purkey

It will die when I come to a stop but then refires after turning over multiple times. Looks like I will be looking into the Edelbrock fuel pump. Thanks for replying.

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:14 am 
Purkey

If you swap to the Edelbrock mechanical fuel pump, can you still use the original looking fuel lines or do you have to swap to different fittings and such?

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:40 am 
iowafordman

The pumps are set at 6psi so they don't require a regulator, 110 gallon per hour, and will support 600 hp. They can also be clocked for the best inlet/outlet arrangement and have 3/8" NPT female inlet and outets. Summit has them for $98.

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:20 am 
Purkey

talked with Summit. I plan on buying the SUmmit fuel pump (80 gph @6 psi) for half the cost of the Edelbrock. I also plan on swapping the rubber fuel line to SS braided. I figured the pump, hoses, fittings, filter to be ~$157 before shipping. May be awhile before I get around to performing since this thing called work keeps getting in the way of working on the car. I post back if it fixes the problem.

Post Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:27 pm 
Purkey

Follow-up: I replaced the fuel line, fuel filter, fittings with Russell ProClassic hose (-6AN) & Edelbrock fuel filter. I decided against the new fuel pump since that could be changed after the hoses if the pressure was not good. After the replacement hoses/fittings, I am reading 6 psi at the inlet of the hard fuel line (I added that along with the banjo fitting). So I don't think it was the pump after all (probably 45% of my issues, I noticed that my hard line to pump rubber hose was weeping after getting hot; it got replaced too). The hesitation is still there at 55-65 mph so I am thinking it is electrical in nature. I think I am around 7 or 8 degrees at idle. Do you guys think this is too low? Like I said before, 0-less than 55 Steady state is fabulous, hitting the throttle is great (really great), but 55-65 steady state is hesitation and missing. I have a Mallory electronic ignition (no box) with ballast resistor, and filter.

Thanks again for everyone that has chimed in.

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:25 pm 
RickRacer

what's it do after 65? Does it straighten out and run good?

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:03 am 
Dave S.

Problem

Purkey,
I had a similar problem with my '67-engine would 'flutter' when trying to hold a steady speed (roughly 45 and up) but would run good at throttle. I changed plugs, dizzy cap, rotor,points, fuel pump, and rubber fuel lines with no sucess. I had my plug wires in a loom, so changed them out to make servicing the engine more accessable for a repair shop-ran great. Found a couple plug wires with weak spark. Try electrical trouble shooting.

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:52 am 
Dave S.

Problem

Purkey,
I had a similar problem with my '67-engine would 'flutter' when trying to hold a steady speed (roughly 45 and up) but would run good at throttle. I changed plugs, dizzy cap, rotor,points, fuel pump, and rubber fuel lines with no sucess. I had my plug wires in a loom, so changed them out to make servicing the engine more accessable for a repair shop-ran great. Found a couple plug wires with weak spark. Try electrical trouble shooting.

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:53 am 
GerryProctor

It sounds more like a lean surge. You are in the idle and intermediate circuit of the carb under light load, low throttle blade angles. The road speed where the carburetor is on the main metering circuit varies by car, but generally, over 40 mph or so.

If it was an ignition performance issue, a misfire would show more prominently under heavy throttle where cylinder pressure is highest and the plugs under the most resistance. It could be an ignition issue if the timing was overly advanced. This will give you the same symptoms as a lean surge but you will also notice some popping in the exhaust when it is occuring. You can easily check this by just removing the vacuum advance hose. But most carb problems are in the ignition so make sure your system is up to snuff.

If the carb is out of the box and has never been fiddled with, you have to look at your fuel level to make sure your float setting is proper. If the carb has been fiddled with or you bought it used or reconditioned, I would look to the metering rods and jets to ensure someone hasn't created a problem for you.

I do suspect you have a main metering issue. That it clears up as soon as you give it some throttle leads me in that direction. When you give it throttle, you are in the enrichment where the metering rods are well out of the jets to provide that extra fuel under low vacuum conditions, so the engine is now getting the fuel it needs.

Post Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:09 pm 
Purkey

I've tinkered with the carb when these issues came up; leaned it out (made worse, lots of popping) richened it up (ran better). I am running a Mallory distributor (electronic) so no points/resistor (I used to think that was a hassle; I would almost trade for those days). The next thing on the list was to swap plug wires. I have already swapped plugs since someone mentioned that the plugs could be fouled, they weren't, but I swapped them anyway.
I talked with mallory last year when this first came up. My neighbor and I were fooling with the timing and we found greater than 40 degrees advance (in park, revving the engine). Mallory suggested that I turn the setscrew on the housing ~3 turns to retard the timing to a maximum of ~ 35 degrees.

Above 55-60 mph it runs like a scalded dog!

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:39 pm 
roger

Mallory voltage

Did you bypass the stock resistor wire?
Don;t the Mallory distro;s require a full 12 volts?
Not that i'm sure this would cause your issues, but if Mallory does call for a full 12 volts, eventually its going to give up on you.
don;t ask how i know!

Post Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:16 am 
Purkey

rejetted last weekend but have not had a chance to get on the highway yet. I'll keep you guys informed on the progress. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Post Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:24 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: