Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:48 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

electric fan amp drawn?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RickRacer

electric fan amp drawn?

Hey Guys, I bought an aluminum radiator, shroud and electric fan which pulls somewhere around 21 amps, at least that's what the paper work says.

Right now I have a stock alternator and voltage regulator on my 66/289 hardtop and I know I need a better alternator but do I need a better regulator too?

I was thinking a 70 amp alternator would be fine.....am I right? Do I need a higher amp regulator too?

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:12 pm 
Scott66gta

No,,,

The regulater senses the voltage, and cuts out the field of the alternator when the voltage goes too high... the current from the alt goes to the starter solenoid stud, then straight to the battery. Just e sure the Reg matches the alt and is wired right,,,

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
RickRacer

Hey Scott, Your answer kind of throws me...you say No but then you say this. Just be sure the Reg matches the alt and is wired right,,,

I'm taking that as yes I do need a matching voltage regulator to go with a high output alternator. So I can't use my stock reg with a high output alternator.

Post Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:18 pm 
Scott66gta

you can, but

make sure the new H.O alt requires the same style reg. there are 3 wire, 4 wire, solid state, etc.. If you're using a ford alt from the same year, then it should work with you existing regulator. If you use a GM alt, for example, then I'd make sure the reg is compatible... I have a 105 amp alt from a 1974 Cougar that should wire up the same, for example.

here are some diagrams thet may help, if you don't already have them..
http://www.blert.net/comet/gen2alt/

http://72.35.72.219/~library/10157/Ford%20alternator.jpg

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:34 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
RickRacer

I get what your talking about now.....simple. I plan on going with the stock style alternator just a higher output. That'll save me some money not having to buy some other higher cost regulator.

How did you determine you needed a 105 amp alt? I was hoping to get by with a 70 myself.

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:58 am 
Scott66gta

I didn't...

I scrapped a Cougar and nabbed the Alternator for my 66...

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:57 am 
roger

Relays

Use a relay to send power right to the fan, not through your dash switch, if your using one.
If you look up Flexalite varible speed controller you will get the idea or just google Relays.
I am using the flexalite controller to handle a Lincoln Mark V11 fan which can pull alot of Amps on fire up. But, the VSController has a "soft Start" feature which starts the Electric fan at 50% & then ramps if if need be, no big hit to your electrical system
The relay, sends power from your source, say the positive terminal or solenoid right to the fan.
Also, look at the madelectrical site at 3 wire vs 1 wire Alts, for good info
The Cs series of Alts are cheap & easy to mount, put out anywhere from 65 to 125 amps.

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:13 pm 
purf_man

i would suggest looking into a C3 ford alternator. it will bolt in place of the stock one (will need a pulley swap and a nut and washer on the threaded hole.....since it isn't threaded) They are internally regulated and put out 130amps. Just measure the bolts centers to make sure you get one that fits (they made a couple different cases on them)

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:23 pm 
RickRacer

I haven't got the wire harness yet but plan on getting it soon. I like the relay idea and I've got a factory AC in my 66 so that much better, might need two relays then but I'll do some checking on that. I read I need a relay for the AC system so it turns the fan on when the AC is on, don't want to burn up the condenser.
So a soft start relay and AC relay for sure.
I'll check into the other alternators, they do sound better all around.

Thanks for the help guys.....I'll probably get this whole set up in after the summer time since my home AC isn't working right and that takes priority since it's so fricken hot here.....worst summer we've ever had if you ask me.

Post Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:17 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: