Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:15 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

What enamel should I use

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
thefairlaneman

What enamel should I use

I am painting my car and have made a home made spray booth which seems to work well. I want to use enamel paint because its not as complicated to use as the 3 step clear coats and less toxic. I dont expect it to have a show car look like the high buck paint jobs but want it to look ok. What kind of enamel paint should I use and where can I get it..thanks

Post Sat May 21, 2011 2:20 pm 
iowafordman

PPG Delstar enamel is an outstanding paint for shine and durability. Combined with a PPG epoxy primer for adhesion and corrosion resistance, you can do it from start to finish for well under $1,000. Just be sure to follow mixing ratios and drying times. Are you using a solid color? If it's a metallic color, you may want to consider a basecoat/clearcoat. It's more forgiving for even distribution of metallics, and wet sanding can make a metallic finish look tiger striped and blotchy. I did my first paint job with black epoxy primer and black enamel, and won several shows against professional paint booth jobs. With some time and effort spent wet sanding and buffing, it can be smooth as glass with a beautiful shine. We are lucky enough to have a body shop supply store locally, but you can also purchase it online. Paint stores have tons of PPG products on ebay. Take your time prepping and good luck!

Post Sat May 21, 2011 5:09 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: