Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

hydro boost brake booster??

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
66SideOiler

hydro boost brake booster??

Has anyone here put a hydro boost booster in a 66? I have a 66 Gt with nonpower brakes and a 427. I installed late model cobra four wheel disk. I would like to ad power brakes but I have no room for a normal booster with my current set up.

Any ideas?

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
roger

Hydro contact

If you go over to Fairlane club of America site, Paul has done this swap, on a 63 though
But, the guy he got the unit off, I don;t have his contact info here with me in PEI, but, he custom makes the firewall bracket to fit any vehicle.
Try & Google Ford Hydroboost brake & his name/company will come up, new units around 500-600 bucks complete,
Great guy too, will give you all kinds of free info

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:21 pm 
66SideOiler

Thanks roger I will check that out

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
63 fairlane 500

I'm not sure all Lincoln Versailles have hyd power boost but my mother in law has a 77 that does. Being a ford unit with 4 wheel disc brakes it mite be an easy conversion for what your looking for.

Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:25 pm 
GerryProctor

There was someone on here that posted a hydroboost conversion a year or two ago that included a brief write up and some images. So you might try the search feature since it has been done. Based upon that, I contacted Paul at Hydratech (http://www.hydratechbraking.com/) since I had installed their conversion on my '72 Corvette and had excellent results. Paul wrote back that while it's possible to install one, the outcome is not great. It seems the bellcrank used in the power brake cars contributes too much leverage to the system making the brakes overly sensitive. He recommended against it.

Based upon that, I stuck with my factory power disc setup and just used an electric vacuum pump to pull on the booster.

Now, it may be viable for you since you are a good deal away from factory and you may have a much higher piston swept area than the factory system. So you could probably do it and have a good outcome using a 1.125" bore master cylinder.

EDIT: It was a guy named Jim Cain and the car was a '69 Torino

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:35 am 
roger

thats the company!

The company Gerry mentions is the one was talkin about,
In my case, early F'lanes have a different set up then you 66-up guys have to it is a much easier bolt on
And yes, late 70-80's Ford wagons have factory hydro,if you can find one
there is a guy also on line with a "how to" site on using a ford hydroboost on his Maverick, he loves it & used Paul to make him a firewall bracket to bolt it right on

Post Sat May 01, 2010 3:05 pm 
AKB

I know this is an old post, but..

I remember one of my Mustang buddies telling me about a late model Ranger unit that had a small diameter (or possibly dual) diaphragm that allows it to fit in areas with a limited amount of room. For the life of me though I can't remember which year. You could try going to an auto parts store and asking them if they could pull out a few for you to look at. Just a thought..

Post Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:49 pm 
roger

alternatives

There is another guy, advertisies in Hemmings,
Builds Hydroboost for any car & only uses GM Van hydro;s for all installs,
I looked over the GM safaris in local wrecker & everyone of em has Hydro install
Personally, i;d rather go with a Ford unit but, i;ve never seen one in a wrecker

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:13 am 
purf_man

they are the same unit. the only difference is the fittings on it. I have a 1998 1 ton chevy van setup I grabbed for my S10 and a 1996 4.6 mustang one for the fairlane. same unit.
the ford one is rotated 90 though and uses a vertical pattern master (only can get disc disc master for it too) it does use SAE sized ports.

you do need power steering to use one as it can't run without a power steering box/ram.

Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:53 pm 
roger

hydroboost alternatives

If Hydroboost is out because of the f;lanes bellcrank set up &/or its a space issue, we solved this on my 63 by using a p.booster from a mustang 11, the booster is quite small & a late model MC, from a 97 Mustang (4 wheel disc brake MC) bolts right on to the Mustang 11 p.booster.
With 4 wheel disc brakes its a killer set up. You must use Cleveland style valve covers to clear the p.booster tho.
Mustangs & more sells these canted style valve covers for any sm/big block Ford motor, & they give you almost 2" of clearence between booster & valve cover

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:35 am 
purf_man

inline six for me Very Happy it does have canted valves though.....

I am guessing it is a length issue. I knwo with the hydroboost unit and the ford master cylinder I might need a small notch or cut down a corner of the master to clear the tower.

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:28 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: