Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Members Cars

Saving a RHD '64 Ranch Wagon in the UK

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Mystery Machine

Saving a RHD '64 Ranch Wagon in the UK

Hi there,

I am new here. I registered at the beginning of December but only got my membership approved yesterday. I'm guessing things don't move too fast around here (apart from the cars themselves Wink ) I like things to be relaxed so it looks like this place will suit.

I guess I'd better start at the beginning.

I saw a message from a friend saying there was a 'big American car' that needed saving. It was on a farm a long way from me and the owner was going to sell it to the banger racers (demolition derby). Now I hate the thought of cars going to waste and American cars in the UK are pretty rare!

I managed to get in touch with the owner and with only seeing a couple of really bad photos of the car, headed down to see it. This was on the 6th Dec and it was very cold that day/night. I early in time to collect my friend on the way and we headed down to a (very) remote part of Cornwall to see the car. It was dark when we got there, but torches and car lights gave us some help.

The car is a 1964 Fairlane Ranch Wagon which was built in Canada then shipped out to Gibraltar at some point then in the late 70's found its way over to the UK. It's a RHD model which is probably fairly rare? Certainly over here it is to have an American car in RHD!

Here are some photos of when my friend and I went to view the car:

The car was covered with about 1" of ice all over...the tailgate had no window and the floor in the boot (trunk) was filled with sheet ice.

At some point, someone has removed the original engine & 'box then fitted a Ford 3.0 V6 (UK spec 'Essex' V6) with a 4speed manual gearbox that has a floor shift. Not what we were hoping for, but it's the car itself we were more interested in saving from the banger boys. The V6 will not be staying.

I paid a deposit and agreed a delivery charge for the car to be brought up to my little lock-up where a whole group of us could start to work on the car on certain weekends.

My friend and I are doing this as a joint project (with the help of lots of other friends) but there is no information about these cars anywhere in the UK so I thought it best to sign up and hope that along the way you guys might be able to help us get this car back in shape again?

It's never going to be a full on restoration, but we want to make it solid, reliable and usable. We want to enjoy it.

More info to come. Thanks for looking and best wishes from the UK,

Bruce.

Last edited by Mystery Machine on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:34 pm 
Mystery Machine

....a week later the car was delivered to my lock-up in Bristol. The transport company charged me less to deliver it than it would have cost me in fuel to collect it. It also saved me a long day on the road.

Here it is rolling off the back of the delivery truck:

...and in the yard

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:42 am 
Mystery Machine

Now I finally get to have a better look at what we've bought!

Last edited by Mystery Machine on Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:45 am 
Mystery Machine

Some slightly better interior shots:

Complete with 'picnic' radio (not heard of these before, but a cool idea!)

Post Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:47 am 
Beast

RE: 64 Ranch Wagon

I've seen worse beginnings to a project. Are you planning on putting an FE under the hood or something else?

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:16 am 
thefairlaneman

Is the car worth fixing to the point you can drive it? YES Is it worth the price to restore it.NO hope this helps.

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:39 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: