Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:05 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

My engine caught on fire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Rylic

Ok, I went out this afternoon after letting the battery charge for a few hours, and checked everything over again. Pulled the #1 spark plug so I could get top dead center on compression. Turned the motor a little and the exhaust started to open. Ok, so the cam isn't in completely backwards. I pulled the distributor again and reinstalled it, because when it almost sounded like it would start, I had it waaaay advanced. So I reinstalled it with plenty of room for advancement. I also changed the plug wires back to the 302 firing order.

Would you believe, that when I finally tried starting it, it fired up and ran? Unbelievable.

At any rate, I checked and set the static advance to about 14-16 (can't read the numbers as well as I'd like on that dark ford blue), with vacuum advance hose plugged, and set the idle for 2500 to break in the cam.

I would have let it run for the full 20 or so minutes, but after about four or five, it started to stumble a little or something, and it was getting really hot (by feel, not by temperature gauge. I need to get a gauge).

So now, I'm thinking of taking it to either the guy I know, or someone else, and have them check it out, make sure it isn't overheating, and whatever else. And probably let them break it in.

One question though, is there any way to tell the RPM's without a tachometer? I'm pretty sure mine is correct, but it was pretty freaking loud. Although, I only have exhaust manifolds on, no other exhaust (and it was kinda cool seeing light blue flames coming out of the manifolds...though that's probably a bad thing, right?).

Also, when it's running, if you have the radiator cap off, should the coolant still be the clear green, or should it be kinda cloudy green (I guess it was boiling)?

I'm still kinda overwhelmed at it starting at the moment, shaking and stuff.

Oh, the other reason I didn't let it run any more is because I stopped it after it started stumbling, and when I tried starting it again, the starter would just click but not turn over.

Ok, stopping now, anyone wanna tackle this post?

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
roger

starting

As we all know you have to get a new engine started asap to break in the cam, you gotta get her spinning at 1500-2000 rpm for 15 minutes or you may wipe out a lobe, as i have done by cranking an engine over for to long.
(rockers to tight so she wouldn;t fire up, just belch & back fire).
If you think it was overheating, put the rad cap on, blow air through the rad if you have to to help cool her, check to make sure your thermostat is opening, you should see antifreeze moving if you peek in the rad.
But, if i were you, take it back to the guy who put this together for you before you hurt it .

Post Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:52 am 
67fairlane500
Site Admin

just wondering if you have any new info

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:02 pm 
Rylic

Haven't really done anything other than install a water temp and oil pressure gauge.

I pulled the starter and discovered that the gear on the starter broke in half, hence it not turning the motor over any more.

Post Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: