Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:12 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Rusty Cowl area?????

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Coach66

Rusty Cowl area?????

My 67 has bad rust where the cowl "bowls" and connects to the heater vents under the dash. Since I cannot find any replacements, I was wondering; will mustang parts work?

Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:28 pm 
Scott66gta

not really...

They aren't the same shape... You might be able to use them for parts... dynacorn make cowls for 67-68 and 71-73 stangs, which may be closer... Take the old ones out and take them to a sheet metal shop... They should be able to reproduce them easily... Other than that, a donor car is needed,,, Problem is, even cars from california rot out... the drains get clogged, and Ford didn't paint them... HTH

Post Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
bulletpruf

Very common problem on early Fairlanes. Do a search on this site and others; you'll likely find some pictures of a complete repair. Seems like the only way to fix it is to cut out the old cowl and splice in a new one from a donor car. Pretty involved job.

Good luck,

Scott

Post Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:43 am 
imaout

cowl replacment

try sunman ford i got mine from there but what a job to replace it but it was a very nice part

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:10 pm 
bigal2891

I have done lots of cowls on Mustangs and will need to do them on my 66. I trim out the bad area from the bottom. It is easy if its on a rotisserie. If you dont have that luxury it still can be done with out to much hassle. I trim out the hat and prep the existing area. I then trim out the new or donor part about an inch or so bigger. I will media blast the hat and rustproof it. I like the Por 15 product, Just brush it on and leave a half inch or so around the edge. I will apply 3m 8115 panel bond adhesive around the edge and use a porta-power to apply pressure so I get an excellent seal. Just give it 24 hours, take out the jack and it will never come out. The last step is to jack the car up on one side and squeeze some flowable seam sealer into the cowl until it runs out the drain hole on the side of the cowl. Make sure it goes around the hat both sides and I promise you will never worry about your cowl leaking again.

Post Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:55 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: