Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:48 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

what is a good doner for a AOD?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
edwardejv

what is a good doner for a AOD?

i plan on searching junk yards for a AOD will 1 from a crown vic work also i need to know what flywheel to get ? i read on woodys that a 70's 351w has the right flywheel, what year and tooth count do i need thanks stan

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
steve

Crown Vic will work or Mustang. They are both the short output shaft version. Avoid any older than 89. The newer ones have better oiling. You will need a 164 tooth flexplate from a 351. These will have the same balance as an early (pre 80) 289/302. I have one with a Lentech valve body which has electronic overdrive delete feature and good stout shifts. You will need to get a Lokar or similar cable to operate the throttle valve lever on the tranny. This controls the pressure in the tranny. Make sure this is adjusted correctly or you will cook it in half a mile. If you do a google search, you will find tons of info on this swap.

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:06 am 
Scott66gta

HD apps

i would reccomend a unit from a heady duty app, such as a police car, aerostar, ranger, and the like. passenger car units shift too softly, even after a shift kit is installed. Friend of mine found this out after the fact. has to do w/ the servos, and oil passages, etc...

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
jmgford

quote:
Originally posted by steve:
I have one with a Lentech valve body which has electronic overdrive delete feature and good stout shifts.

By "overdrive delete", do you mean it has no overdrive, or that it has to be manually selected?

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
steve

It has a switch to turn the overdrive off, just like any late model Ford. You then can go racing or towing without fear of it going into overdrive and putting all of the power through that little tiny center shaft. As far as getting a tranny from a Ranger or an Areostar, forget it. Those are 6 cylinder units. If you go to baumann engineering's site, they will tell you what to look for. I think their website is www.becontrols.com They have alot of info about using the AODE, which is an electronically controlled tranny. They have a stand alone compter that controls it. Way cool. Next time maybe!

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:18 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: