Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

GT40's on a 289 block, 67 Flane

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Tannerm

GT40's on a 289 block, 67 Flane

Title says it all. Cylinder 3 on my current stock 289 is dead. Compression test displayed no psi at all in that cylinder, yet excellent psi in the other 7. Air is excaping somewhere. Before comp test, we thought the engine's timing hopped. So as we were playing with the dizzy, we finally got it to start, but run rough for only a few seconds. During that short time, it would backfire LOUDLY out the passenger side tailpipe. So, long story short, I believe my exhaust valve or spring is kaputt. Explains where the compression test is sending the air, and why it back fires when running.

Brings me to my question, will cast iron GT40 (NOT GT40P's) heads work on this engine. I have heard alot of mixed answers from other mustang forums I am apart of. I already have these laying around so this is why I want these to work. I have seen and heard of people doing this exact swap, but when I mention it, I seem to get negative responses on me doing it. The engine is a 40,000 original miles "C" code 289 with Edelbrock Performer intake and Holley 600cfm carb. THanks!

Tanner out of Ft Worth, Tx
214 212 8042

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:22 pm 
mygirls63

Yes they will work.

Keep in mind that the chamber will be larger than the 289 iron heads, so you will loose some compression.

The reason most people get grumbly is that there are better choices out there than P the GT40 iron heads. It all depends on what you are wanting to do and how much you want to spend.

If you already own them and the do not need any work to use, then try them. I would reccomend surfacing them at the least.

If it was me, I would perform a leak down test on the engine before tearing it apart. A compression test will not always tell you the whole story. It would suck to swap heads just to find out that the rings are bad.

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:31 pm 
Tannerm

My goals on this car arent real crazy. I have these heads for a quick fix and a slight performance gain. My future plans are to either one of three:
1. Move shifter to floor and enjoy that
2. Install either a 4spd or T5 5spd trannys with cable clutch
3. Or install either AOD or C4 auto with a manual shift kit. This route might be cheaper then the number 2, so Im weighing options.

In the distant future when I win the lottery, I want to put an 8.8 rearend with 3.50 gears, repaint (no rust, spent 20 years in barn. It was an awesome find), freshened up interior, and slap a semi hot 351W in it.

But being this is a "project" car and working on a cop's salary, I dont see any of this coming very soon. Crying or Very sad
Tanner

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:56 pm 
mygirls63

Go ahead and do a leak down test on each cylinder and see what comes from that first.

Those heads will be ok, but don't expect much if any power gain (sorry).

Do you have the rockers for the GT40 heads?

Nice looking car you have there.

As far as transmissions go...the automatics will be cheaper than a stick, but if you want a stick, and if you do move up to a 351 later, a Toploader 4 speed will be a much better choice strength wise.

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:17 pm 
Tannerm

Mygirls, I ended up keeping the heads that I had on there. When we removed the valve covers, we discovered adjustable rockers... One of the cylinder's rocker was overly tightened causing the exhaust leak. Engine runs like a top now.

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:48 pm 
mygirls63

Good to hear it was an easy fix!

Post Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:12 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: