Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:08 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

67 289 in a XL conv cooling problems

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Chadco

67 289 in a XL conv cooling problems

Well I'm brand new to this forum. I've owned a 67 XL ragtop for 20 years now. Last 8 it was stored. Now my son is 20 and wants it running. Got it out and fired up. Purrs like a kitten. BUT after a few minutes it builds up pressure in the top rad hose- the hose actually starts to bulge! When I shut it down, I got a pool of tranny fluid underneath the car. The thermostat is new, the hoses are new, the tranny was rebuilt and has been running fine. Could this be a rad problem or water pump or what?

Any comments would be most welcome.

Thanks![/b]

Post Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:01 pm 
RadMan

Is the fluid leak under the trans. or the radiator? A car that has been setting for 8 years can have bad seals in the trans. or a leaking line near the radiator cooler. Over filling the trans. will cause it to dump fluid out the overflow/breather. This will usually look like the fluid is running down from the area of the shifter linkage on the left side of the trans.
If the top hose is bulging it may be old and soft, the thermostat may be in backward, there may be an air bubble in the engine block from the thermostat change, or your radiator may be plugged. Remove the lower hose at the radiator and hold your hand over the lower casting while someone fills the radiator up with water. Remove your hand quickly when the radiator is full, all water should come gushing out of the lower casting in a solid stream and empty the radiator in just about 5-6 seconds. If it dribbles out like Grandma's old cow the radiator is stopped up.
Check for a loose drive belt on the water pump that is also a possibility.
You did not say if the engine is overheating at the same time?

Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:16 pm 
Chadco

thankx rad-man

We followed your instructions and founnd the rad plugged. Did a power flush, changed hoses and now have had a two hour drive around on city streets with no problem. Never did see any source of trans fluid leak. Dipstick shows full, shifting works well both hot and cold.
Now we're installing new dual stainless exhaust system. Next comes the body/paint job.

Thanks for your help

Chadco
Toronto, Canada

Post Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:27 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: