Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:58 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

TROUBLES WITH 3RD GEAR

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
BIGEINVT

TROUBLES WITH 3RD GEAR

I HAVE A 1966 FAIRLANE THAT WONT SHIFT INTO 3rd GEAR. I HAD THE TRANSMISSION REPLACED WITH A REBUILT UNIT AND INSTALL BY A CAPABLE MECHANIC AND I STILL HAVE NO 3rd. IS IT SOMETHING MUCH MORE SIMPLE? ANY IDEAS.

Post Sun May 28, 2006 8:30 am 
scotta66gt

Is it a manual trans?

Howdy. If it's a 3 speed manual the shifter arms may be out of adjustment. The Hurst website has diagrams of how to install and adjust their units, should be basically the same for a Ford shifter. Good luck, Scott (66 Fairlane, 3.03 3 speed manual toploader)

Post Sun May 28, 2006 10:15 am 
BIGEINVT

SORRY IT IS A AUTOMATIC C-4

Post Mon May 29, 2006 12:02 pm 
Kevin197

The most common cause of no third gear in a C-4 is......

a disconnected or improperly adjusted vacuum modulator. Most likely the little vacuum hose is disconnected at the modulator. Check under the car on the passenger side rear of the transmission just up from the pan rail. There should be a vacuum hose connected there. If it isn't connected the transmission won't shift into 3rd gear while driving normally.

Post Tue May 30, 2006 7:06 am 
edwardejv

if the modulator line is disconnected there would be a bad vac. leak that would affect the idle the modulator is adjustable if it is adjustable you can use a pocket screwdriver loosen the screw to lower the shift points tighten to raise em hope its something simple stan

Post Tue May 30, 2006 7:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
BIGEINVT

I HAVE CHECKED FOR VAC FROM CARB AND IT DOES HAVE IT. WHAT DO I TRY NEXT? COULD THE VAC LINE BE HOOKED UP TO THE WRONG PORT ON THE CARB? DO I NEED TO CHANGE THE MODULATOR, AND DOES THAT REQUIRE DRAINING THE FLUIDS??

Post Tue May 30, 2006 7:01 pm 
steve

Don't use your cap lock. All capitals means you are yelling!

Post Tue May 30, 2006 8:22 pm 
edwardejv

it should be hooked to manifold vacuum if its still the 289 there should be a tube behind the carb that gose to the trans could be shifting to 3rd from 1st mine did that after i put in a b&m trans pak i started backing out the screw in the modulator its getting better but still not quit right(hard acceleration it goes 1st to 3rd and shifts late) i just thought about this but what year is the trans if its a cruse-o-matic your shift indicator will have a white dot and a green dot drive if so one drive starts in 2nd gear the outher is 1st through 3rd if you change the mod. valve you wont have to drain the tranny should have been replaced in the rebuild

Post Tue May 30, 2006 10:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
edwardejv

here is the mod. adjusting screw this is a parts store replacement

Post Wed May 31, 2006 6:00 pm 
BIGEINVT

thanks that is a big help! i do have the cruise o matic selector. i have been using the white dot as drive, is this correct? do i tighten the modulator screw all the way down then drive, then back the screw out again and again until i get the correct shift?

Post Wed May 31, 2006 7:45 pm 
edwardejv

green dot white circle is 1-2-3 white dot is 2-3 no first try driving in green/ white see how it does my B&M sheet says do not tighten all the way . loosen for earlier shift ,tighten for later the one in the pic was never adjusted and it shifted fine B&M also says its bad if you lossen the screw all the way good luck stan

Post Wed May 31, 2006 10:05 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: