Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

Anyone used these, out of Florida?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
1320lane

My thought is to change spindles for a better choice of racing brakes.

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:45 pm 
purf_man

what are you looking at? you can get adaptors to run SN95 mustang brakes on your stock spindles.

http://www.mustangsteve.com/cobrabrakes.html

I am looking at picking these up once I get a little farther along to getting my car on the road again. The GT/V6 brakes use the same mount and will clear 15" wheels. They use a smaller rotor though and a single piston cast iron caliper.

I am not sure if there are any better upgrades for a rearsteer spindle.

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:43 am 
mygirls63

quote:
Originally posted by 1320lane:
My thought is to change spindles for a better choice of racing brakes.

Larry, any 66-69 Mustang brake setup will work.
I used a Wilwood 4 piston setup for these years Mustang. Bolted right up.

No need for different spindles to use these.

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:18 pm 
1320lane

Purf_man, I'm not looking at anything made up from stock. The car will be built to be legal to 8.50's in the 1/4, not sure if it'll run that while I own it, but that's what I'm building it to.

Scott, that's good to know. I haven't looked real close at them, but I know how the '70-'73 Mustang spindles are supposed to be heavier duty and was thinking towards that.

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:30 pm 
mygirls63

Yes, 71 & up spindles are heavier, Granada size spindle, but the steering arm geometry is different as well as the tie rod ends.

I have some Maverick drum brake spindles I bought to swap but elected to stay with the 63 Fairlane spindles as they were the same as Mustang drum spindles. I bolted up the Wilwood setup, no issues & no bump steer to worry about at the traps.

I could make you a heck of a deal on these if you wanted them. I am not sure if they differ from the newer Mustang, steering wise, but if I remember correctly, they are the same as Granada. They are for the larger bearings.

Wilwood & Aerospace offer kits for this spindle.

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:52 pm 
CompactFairlane

quote:
Originally posted by mygirls63:
Yes, 71 & up spindles are heavier, Granada size spindle, but the steering arm geometry is different as well as the tie rod ends.

I have some Maverick drum brake spindles I bought to swap but elected to stay with the 63 Fairlane spindles as they were the same as Mustang drum spindles. I bolted up the Wilwood setup, no issues & no bump steer to worry about at the traps.

I could make you a heck of a deal on these if you wanted them. I am not sure if they differ from the newer Mustang, steering wise, but if I remember correctly, they are the same as Granada. They are for the larger bearings.

Actually, I believe that the cut point was 1969-70 with the Boss 302 Mustangs in 1969 using the bigger bearing spindles as well.

Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:24 am 
mygirls63

quote:
Originally posted by CompactFairlane:
quote:
Originally posted by mygirls63:

Actually, I believe that the cut point was 1969-70 with the Boss 302 Mustangs in 1969 using the bigger bearing spindles as well.

Yes, there were 2 spindle applications in 69 - 70. Depending on who you talk to depends on why this was.

That is why I said 71 & up as that I do know is correct. Anything 68 and older used the small bearings. Both size bearings were used in 69 & 70.
This can be confusing.

Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:14 pm 
wishbone

Quick question, kinda on the subject. I am looking to beef up my rear axles. It is the 8" Ford with 3.80 gears posi under a 347 stroker with 425hp.
I put the stock axles back in the car. They were in a 3 speed automatic 260 engine and looked to be in really good shape. Do you think they will hold up to some burn outs or drag races? If not, what is a beefy pure replacement that will fit right in? I was told that Maverick axles are a direct fit and are beefier. Anyone know if this is the case? Thanks

Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:42 pm 
mygirls63

The axles are the same size/splines as most 9" rears, ie: 28 spline.

Will they hold up? Who knows.

What transmission do you have?

On street tires they " might " be fine, but with slicks & a stick shift, most likely not.

Having said that, the 8" center section will let go before the axles will.

As far as what you heard about Maverick axles being beefier, nope, sorry. Someone is trying to sell you nothing for something. Mavericks came with the same 8" axle, and as I stated earlier, the 8" & 9" 28 spline axle is the same.

Pony up for a 9" axle and if you plan on running slicks on occasion, get 31 spline axles at a minimum.

Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:12 pm 
purf_man

well two teaser pics....

can't find where I "cleaned up my living room" for the holidays and stuck my swayar mount tabs. still need strutrod mounts on the lower arm. but they are like these

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Weld-On-Chassis-Tab-1-3-4-Inch-with-3-8-Hole,1578.html

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:06 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: