Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Bought my last Ford

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
dave s

Bought my last Ford

I have owned Fords since 1956, the last good one was my '68 Fairlane 500, purchased new, no problems
1973 Grand Marquis 69,000 miles body totaly rotted out.
1976 Mustang Mach 1 could hear it rusting alongside the ,'73
1984 Bronco piece of Crap
1990 Ranger what a joke in winter, would just go out from under you, totalled winter of '94
1996 Taurus after head gskets replaced and tranny replaced not too bad
2006 Ford 500 Limited too many problems to list , called Ford about this and might as well shoved my head up my a##.
I now have a '64 Fairlane and a 54 Customline, both excelent,
Built with pride in Chicago BULLSH#T!

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:37 pm 
dave s

Last Ford

Got so carried away I forgot to mention my '65 Mustang, bought in '71 as a $500.00 beater, lasted for 32 years,some mods done, ran 12.4@107mph. got written off by a gentleman wearing a turban,hit me head on in 2003.
Best Damn Ford I ever owned.
Thanks for listening to my rant.
dave s

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:50 pm 
maroon63

Sorry about your bad luck with your Fords,lemons come in all brands.Personally I have had great luck with my Fords.I have a long list of them but the best were as follows-63 Fairlane 1st car&still have it-79 f150 dad bought new no problems@300000 miles-1980 t-bird 197,000 miles with only a water pump-1987 t-bird 198,000 miles only a water pump& trans@160,000-1989 ranger 120,000 miles and should have kept it-1995 taurus 200,150 miles and still driving it.

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:43 am 
Arky

I bought a 93 cougar last week, one of those C4C cars the government screwed the dealer on. paid $700.00 for it from the dealer.

64,000 actual miles, nothing major just little problems. Plugs in the window gears on the pass side , to make the window roll up and down. paint peeling ont he rear deck. door hinges and the hood strutts.

What gets me is I now have put about 700 miles on the car, and get 29 plus mpg, V-6 Automatic AC on, pB/PS nothing else wrong.

But it was C4C and met the feds rules.

The more I drive it the b etter I like it.

I will never buy another new car, you loose your butt on them.

Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:44 pm 
CompactFairlane

For the record: apparently the early 1960's Ford products had unusually good build quality.

The Falcon: it was 'designed' to fall to pieces after 3 years-----Ford 'blew' it there. Very Happy

Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:41 pm 
diegokid

Same here

I bought the 67 Fairlane because my father had one and it's a numbers matching car with AC. Before that I had owned three fords and ALL of them were terrible. 1983 LTD Crown Vic, 1987 Tempo, 1993 1/2 truck. All were always breaking the LTD was the worst.

The worst Chev I owned had 168,000 miles when I sold it. I replaced the fuelpump at 161,000. The current owner has almost 300,000 on it and has replaced the AC compressor and the clutch. We have always had better luck with our Bowties. I bought the 1995 truck in 1994. My daughter is 18 and in colledge now and it was the truck I taught her to drive in. We just bought her a new Malibu, she likes it better. Just think its neat that we have pics of her when she was a few years old sitting on the fender and it was the same truck she learned to drive in. It has 187,000 miles and has had the ALT and AC compressor changed. Very Happy

I have a Unique Motorcars 427 SC Cobra that I had a FE motor professionaly built by a builder on the east coast. The BB Ford made a whopping 270 RWHP. Pretty dismal for that size of an engine and won't mention the oil leaks. Wished I would have went with the LS1 with the front end kit now. I am reworking some stuff with a local guy and if the FE doesn't get a LOT better it may end up with a LS1 yet. Evil or Very Mad

I will say that this Fairlane with a 2.79 rear and auto trans is pretty good on fuel though and I will see how it goes.

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:10 am 
maroon63

If you have an FE engine professionally built making 270 RWHP and leaking oil,you need to find another builder.The old FE engines were always reliable,strong engines for me and my brother.

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:46 am 
unfairlane

Re: Last Ford

quote:
Originally posted by dave s:
Got so carried away I forgot to mention my '65 Mustang, bought in '71 as a $500.00 beater, lasted for 32 years,some mods done, ran 12.4@107mph. got written off by a gentleman wearing a turban,hit me head on in 2003.
Best Damn Ford I ever owned.
Thanks for listening to my rant.
dave s

Hmm, you should have seen it come. I never trust guys wearing turbans for some reason Confused

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:36 am 
bulletpruf

Re: Same here

quote:
Originally posted by diegokid:
I bought the 67 Fairlane because my father had one and it's a numbers matching car with AC. Before that I had owned three fords and ALL of them were terrible. 1983 LTD Crown Vic, 1987 Tempo, 1993 1/2 truck. All were always breaking the LTD was the worst.

The worst Chev I owned had 168,000 miles when I sold it. I replaced the fuelpump at 161,000. The current owner has almost 300,000 on it and has replaced the AC compressor and the clutch. We have always had better luck with our Bowties. I bought the 1995 truck in 1994. My daughter is 18 and in colledge now and it was the truck I taught her to drive in. We just bought her a new Malibu, she likes it better. Just think its neat that we have pics of her when she was a few years old sitting on the fender and it was the same truck she learned to drive in. It has 187,000 miles and has had the ALT and AC compressor changed. Very Happy

I have a Unique Motorcars 427 SC Cobra that I had a FE motor professionaly built by a builder on the east coast. The BB Ford made a whopping 270 RWHP. Pretty dismal for that size of an engine and won't mention the oil leaks. Wished I would have went with the LS1 with the front end kit now. I am reworking some stuff with a local guy and if the FE doesn't get a LOT better it may end up with a LS1 yet. Evil or Very Mad

I will say that this Fairlane with a 2.79 rear and auto trans is pretty good on fuel though and I will see how it goes.

270 rwhp isn't too good. You need to spend some time on the fe forum - www.fordfe.com. I'm almost done with a 475 hp 428 - unported E-brock heads, mild roller, 750 carb, 10.5:1 compression, CJ exhaust manifolds. Would be over 500 hp with headers. You may have too much cam and not enough compression, tune is way off, cam not degreed, etc. However, if it's just a mild 390, 270 rwhp may not be far off. Got the same problems with a 426 hemi - just 450 hp at the flywheel for a motor with a roller cam, alum heads, 2x4 bbl. Methinks it's a mismatched combo, but darn prior owner doesn't have the cam card, compression ratio, etc.

Good luck,

Scott

Post Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:54 pm 
outlawcaveman

I agree with Dave S. about the lack
of quality of many of the later model
Ford (or anything) products. As a former
auto mechanic, I changed alot of those
head gaskets on the 3.8 V-6's and repaired a many other late
model pos's, and it soon gets so boring. Quite frankly,
I find it a pleasure to work on the 60's cars instead
because of the simplicity and the fairly adequate
type of build these cars manifested....
Rolling Eyes

My latest purchase [besides the rescue of a '74 Maverick 302
running for $650] , and the find of the year for me, a
'77 Mustang II running .. $200. I wish these were 60's Fords,
but at least these are still along the same lines as the old
Fairlanes and Falcons. Still got my $600 - '66 Fairlane in the
shop now waiting its turn....

Post Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:53 pm 
dsfdlish

66 FAIRLANE , 07 TACOMA. PROBLEMS SOPLVED

Post Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:39 pm 
roger

Looking to trade up & i would go with a new Escape Limited as my past 2 have been just the best little SUV i've ever owned, and i;ve sampled em all, but, the new one looks exactly the same as my 2005, maybe not quite as nice actually.
So, i happened to notice a black Taurus & took it for a spin, i;ve test driven one before, but this SHO, was a surprise.
The thing goes! interior is quite Audi like, SHO about same cost as a well equipped A-4, maybe a bottom line S-4.
The motor, the new V-6, loves to rev.
But, man, all in all it seems to be a pretty impressive Ford, just hesitiate to buy the first year of anything,at least i think its the first yr for this motor.
Very uneducated sales person knew less about it then i did.
I do admire Ford for not going to Washington with their hand out & their European wing is kickin butt over there. I.E -the new Focus
I was a Chebby, Jeep guy up until late 90's when i went to the Escapes, & haven;t lookede back. I do think its the best built SUV around

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:05 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: