Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

66 thunderbird front disc brakes

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
antifan66

66 thunderbird front disc brakes

will they work in my 67 fairlane? Is the nine inch in the Tbird the same with?

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:16 pm 
NO FAIR

I am confused by your question. Are you asking can you take the rear brakes off of a thunderbird and install them on the front of your fairlane? the answer is no. If you are looking to put front disc brakes on your Fairlane I would suggest using the swap kit # 1 from discbrakeswap.com
that is the kit I bought and it was around $600 complete everything new.
Good luck
Dave
Smile

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:20 pm 
antifan66

quote:
Originally posted by NO FAIR:
I am confused by your question. Are you asking can you take the rear brakes off of a thunderbird and install them on the front of your fairlane? the answer is no. If you are looking to put front disc brakes on your Fairlane I would suggest using the swap kit # 1 from discbrakeswap.com
that is the kit I bought and it was around $600 complete everything new.
Good luck
Dave
Smile

I purchased a 66 Tbird with a 428 this weekend and I was curious if any of the disc brake parts were the same as the fairlane. And also if anyone new if the axle width was the same or what spline count was. The engine is for my Fairlane, it has 74000 miles and one owner. Hope I made the right decision?

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:25 am 
NO FAIR

I don't think that stuff is interchangeable. The mustang , Fairlane, Falcon stuff is interchangeable on the disc brake stuff. I think the rearends are interchangeable with like a 67 Mustang ( not sure if the spring perches are the same but the widths are)
Good luck
Dave
Smile

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:42 pm 
RIFF RAFFORD

Antifan,
The front disc brakes on the 66 Bird are NOT compatable with your Fairlane at all...It would be nice if they were, This idea has been explored by many others in the past....it's a great idea, it's just an overall "No-Go".

The engine:...Very workable idea. The T-Bird motor mounts will have to be replaced with the Fairlane specific mounts. The T-Bird exaust manifolds will also have to be replaced with Fairlane specific exaust manifolds. The Cyl Heads will also have to be re-drilled to accept Fairlane specific exaust manifolds. A few other minor mods will have to be made with external parts to get the engine to work in the Fairlane as well....Less headaches will arise if you just replaced all of the "front of engine" external components with Fairlane specific parts. (IE: Fan/Spacer...PS pump/Brakets...Alt/Brakets...belts and pulleys.)

The Rear:...Not a very workable idea.
The width of the housing is NOT the same....The standard axles are 28 spline and they can NOT be shortened.
The center section...(Read Carefully)...66 T-Birds did NOT use a 9" center section. They used a 9-3/8" center section with 9-3/8" ring gears installed....The axle housing will accept a 9" center, but you can not install 9" gears on that Diff.
It's difficult to even "Give-Away" a 9-3/8" rear....(what I'm really saying here is....) It might not even be worth your time and effort to remove the rear end from the car to try and sell it......Useing it for anything (even parts) isn't something I myself would even consider, at least not for a Fairlane.

For any type of "Performance" application, I would also suggest some work to the bottom end of the engine. The "Non-Cobra Jet" 428's use the same blocks as the 390's...they do not have reinforced webbing, and are not any more durable than the 390's (in "stock" form)....If the engine is truely a low milage engine that is not in need of a rebuild, you should be very satisfied with the power and reliability it will give you for a long time in a street driven car.
As far as if you made a good purchace choice on buying the T-Bird....That would be for you to decide. Hopefully you got the entire car for a low price....that is really the only factor to consider (price tag of the engine)

Good luck with the 428 install....let us know how it all works out.....Riff.
67 RANCHERO XL 289 C4
68 TORINO GT CONV (INDY PACE CAR) 390 C6
69 COBRA FASTBACK "R" CODE C6
AND OTHERS...

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:44 pm 
antifan66

Thanks everyone

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:32 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: