Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Swap/Interchange Tech Information

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
antifan66

I am considering a 460 in my 66 fairlane, but I am not sure where to start. Is there a certain year 460 that is better than another, how about a donor car? I found a 72 torino with a 460 would that be a good option? And of course there's the budget

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:26 pm 
NO FAIR

Any of the 460 blocks should work fine for you. I personally used a DOVE A block for my 521 it has a little more meat in the webbing essentially the same as the Cobra Jet block minus the 4 bolt mains. It all depends on what you are trying to do, 460 FORD.com is an excellent web site to field 460 questions
Dave
Smile

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:14 pm 
bulletpruf

Re: 460

quote:
Originally posted by antifan66:
I am considering a 460 in my 66 fairlane, but I am not sure where to start. Is there a certain year 460 that is better than another, how about a donor car? I found a 72 torino with a 460 would that be a good option? And of course there's the budget

Definitely check out 460ford.com, as suggested. Lots of great info there. Any 2 bolt 460 block will be fine at moderate hp levels. I've got a factory 4 bolt DOVE A, but also have 800 hp.

Heads are another story - steer clear of the D2VE heads - lousy design. DOVE-C, C8VE, C9VE, etc heads have smaller chambers; easier to make compression with. D3VE heads are also good, but have large chambers.

Scott

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:03 am 
IceLane

The block qualities have been summed up pretty well above.

However, my preferred source of info is http://www.429-460.com , it's an offshoot of 460Ford.com.

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:13 am 
antifan66

Thanks for the info. I have signed up for 460.com but still unable to post and I found a torino with a 460 so I need to act quickly. How can I tell if it has a 4 bolt main, and do I stay away from the 2 barrel carb engines that is 2V right? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm a body and fender guy not a mechanic.

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:27 am 
NO FAIR

It won't have the 4 bolt mains. You will find that in the 429 super cobra jet and you don't need that.
The torino you are looking at would be perfect because it has the sort tail shaft C6 which are getting hard to find. You might want to consider buying a used performance motor instead of building one up yourself. My motor really isn't anything speacial just good parts with moderate hp ( 650) and I am over 8000 in just the motor and I assembled it my self, performance isn't cheap.
Dave
Smile

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:13 am 
bulletpruf

quote:
Originally posted by antifan66:
Thanks for the info. I have signed up for 460.com but still unable to post and I found a torino with a 460 so I need to act quickly. How can I tell if it has a 4 bolt main, and do I stay away from the 2 barrel carb engines that is 2V right? Sorry for my ignorance, I'm a body and fender guy not a mechanic.

Don't worry about 2 bolt versus 4 bolt unless you plan on making big hp.

Check the casting number on the heads - it should be on the outside of the head (exhaust manifold side) on top. It's a cast number, not stamped. Stay away from D2VE heads.

2V is 2 barrel. Don't think you need to stay away; you're likely going to replace anything that's different from a 4 bbl engine anyway (carburetor, intake manifold, camshaft).

Don't worry if you miss out on this one - 460's were made for a long time and are not too difficult to find.

Good luck,

Scott

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:03 am 
antifan66

Thanks guys, I'll keep researching

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:11 pm 
IceLane

The D0VE and D1VE blocks are significantly the same. Those are probably the best to look for, there are also some C9AE blocks out there. Some CJs got 4 bolt mains in 71 but you're just as well off with a 2-bolt main block because the castings are the same (you could have a machine shop make your 2-bolt block a 4-bolt block, if you so desired).

Really, the only blocks that are unacceptable to some are the D9 blocks. They have thinner main webs and can not be milled for 4 bolt mains. A streetable engine is very unlikely to produce enough torque to threaten even the weakest 460 block.

As mentioned above, D2 heads are bad. C8 and D0 heads are what you're looking for (if you find affordable D0OE heads you're probably better off selling them and buying some nice aluminum aftermarket pieces, those are CJ or SCJ heads). D3 heads are low compression, but have been known to make good HP when cleaned up. Stay away from D5 intakes, too.

Post Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:24 am 
bulletpruf

quote:
Originally posted by IceLane:
The D0VE and D1VE blocks are significantly the same. Those are probably the best to look for, there are also some C9AE blocks out there. Some CJs got 4 bolt mains in 71 but you're just as well off with a 2-bolt main block because the castings are the same (you could have a machine shop make your 2-bolt block a 4-bolt block, if you so desired).

Really, the only blocks that are unacceptable to some are the D9 blocks. They have thinner main webs and can not be milled for 4 bolt mains. A streetable engine is very unlikely to produce enough torque to threaten even the weakest 460 block.

As mentioned above, D2 heads are bad. C8 and D0 heads are what you're looking for (if you find affordable D0OE heads you're probably better off selling them and buying some nice aluminum aftermarket pieces, those are CJ or SCJ heads). D3 heads are low compression, but have been known to make good HP when cleaned up. Stay away from D5 intakes, too.

All good points. I wasted some $ on CJ heads several years ago. CJ heads have huge intake ports (more than is necessary for street motor) but the exhaust (where the 385 series engines need some help) isn't any better than the other iron offerings. You're much better off with some of the bargain aluminum castings out there.

As for the D9 blocks, some actually prefer these because the cylinders are longer at the bottom, giving more stability to the pistons in a stroker motor.

Good luck,

Scott

Post Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:55 am 
NO FAIR

I am sure when Scott said "Bargain" aluminum cylinder heads he is excluding Procomp cylinder heads from the list.
Wink

Post Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:03 pm 
bulletpruf

quote:
Originally posted by NO FAIR:
I am sure when Scott said "Bargain" aluminum cylinder heads he is excluding Procomp cylinder heads from the list.
Wink

Yes, I'm not referring to Procomp heads. Just go to 460ford.com and search "Procomp" for some good reading...

Scott

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:00 am 
gear jammer

If you're wanting to use a donor car I would look for a 70-71 Torino/Ranchero. The Crites motor mount kit for this swap is a copy of factory 70-71 parts. I used a 70 429 Ranchero for my donor and was able to use everything from the radiator to the diff. Although had to make mounts for the rad it was actually a pretty simple swap. Just my $.02.

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:35 pm 
IceLane

While I'd never say anything to bash the '70/1 Torinos (look down Wink) a big block 70/1 is pushing 4000 lbs. You can make the car much lighter if you use an early Fairlane. Twisted Evil

Post Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:14 am 
gear jammer

You're absolutely right. I was just stating the fact that 70/1 BB Torino parts work great for the swap into a 66/7 Fairlane as opposed to the 72 up Torino. My 66 HT only weighed 3200lbs with an iron 4-speed and iron intake. By donor car I was referring to the motor mounts, water pump, radiator, disc brakes, trans, differential etc.

Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:57 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: