Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Front fender/quarter panel mounting

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RFoster

Front fender/quarter panel mounting

Where the front fender bolts to the inner fender wall is that plane arched front to back or is it a flat surface?
I was redoing the inner fender walls and I lost my work area and just getting back to the project and don't remember how thing looked.
Thanks for any input,
Rob

Post Fri May 19, 2006 5:21 pm 
1320lane

Okay, what year Fairlane? I have the front fenders loose on my '63 and can take any pics you need, that should take care of '62-'64.

Larry

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Post Sat May 20, 2006 9:04 am 
RFoster

Woops, guess the year would help. It a 64 S/C. Any pictures would help alot. Thanks for the assistance.
Rob

Post Sun May 21, 2006 12:33 pm 
1320lane

Are you talking about the place where the bolt for the middle of the back edge of the fender mounts? You have to access it from under the dash?

As I recall, it's flat just like the brace on the fender is, but I can take pictures of both sides if you need them. If you can show us pictures of what you're trying to replace, I might even be able to give you dimensions off of known points, but I need to know what points you have.

(The hole in the middle of the rear fender brace in this photo of an upside down '63 fender.)

'63 Fairlane 2-dr post. Race car since at least '67. In the process of turning it into a proto-clone Nostalgia Super Stock car with FE power and three pedals.

Post Mon May 22, 2006 2:06 pm 
RFoster

On your picture it is the section on the bottom of the picture that runs left-right that would bolt to the inner fender/engine bay wall. Not sure if the right names.

I can send you a pic if that would help. Not sure how to post them here.
Thanks for the help.

Post Mon May 22, 2006 6:17 pm 
1320lane

Do these help at all?

Post Mon May 22, 2006 11:45 pm 
RFoster

Little bit further forward on the car. Think Im useing the wrong names. On the first pic there its the part almost touching the yellow extension cable on the ground. I think 6 or so bolts go through it.

The other pics will help also.
Thanks

Post Tue May 23, 2006 1:37 am 
1320lane

Oh, you're talking about the upper flange on the engine compartment.
These are the pics I have, I can take a headon shot of it tonight.

Your fender should tell you if it has any curve to it, it's slight if any at all, likely in front of the shock tower.

Do you have all this sheetmetal removed from your car? What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Post Tue May 23, 2006 9:31 am 
RFoster

Thats the spot I was looking for. I have a mustang II front end and was replacing the engine compartment sheetmetal to clean it up. The fenders seem to have an arch to them but I couldn't tell if it was just sprung like that from not being bolted down.

The sheetmetal is back on the car but only good enough so I could move it when I lost my shop space. It's not finished and is currantly in storage. Just trying to figure out what I need to finish and how.
Thanks for the pics I appreciate it.

Post Tue May 23, 2006 5:43 pm 
1320lane

I'll look at it when I get home and see if the flange is flat or not and take some pics if needed.

Larry

Post Tue May 23, 2006 5:47 pm 
1320lane

It looks like it's pretty flat, but has a slight arch that the peak is right in front of the tower. I'll put a straight edge on it tomorrow morning.

Post Tue May 23, 2006 9:33 pm 
1320lane

I layed a 3/4" diameter rake handle on the drivers side flange this morning (hey, it was handy and straight) and the flange is flat. I rolled the handle to make sure and sure enough, its straight. I guess the tilted back shock tower makes it look curved. My driver's side fender also has a slight arch, but I'm guessing that's some "memory" in the metal from when it was stamped. My car has never been wrecked so I know the front end is right.

Post Wed May 24, 2006 9:07 am 
RFoster

Thanks for all the help. I looked all over online for a pic. and couldn't find one. Now I just have to finish the project....
Rob

Post Wed May 24, 2006 7:23 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: