Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Help Please?

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Fair 67

Help Please?

Not sure where to put this thread but I will start here..
I now have put fiberglass over my welds. I am wondering what a good sander is to buy. I want one pretty good that runs easy and leaves a nice finish. Can anyone recommend a sander . Should I go with air or electric? If I get electric I can use it elswhere too but would like some input on the best way to go.. All advice greatly appreciated....

Post Thu May 18, 2006 5:30 pm 
oldracer

get a good orbital sander.

Post Thu May 18, 2006 8:43 pm 
SD44

i want to clarify something about doing this. the reason you fiberglass over welds is because it waterproofs and insulates the weld right? had someone telling me to use seam sealer instead of fiberglass, just didn't sound right.

Post Fri May 19, 2006 6:37 pm 
mygirls63

Use a filler such as body filler or fiberglass to level, shape, form or build up the area. Seam sealers will seal or waterproof the joint providing there aren't any large gaps to bridge. Fiberglass by itself tends to be somewhat porous. Prime & paint the area after glassing it will help to seal it. Hope this helps.

Post Fri May 19, 2006 8:24 pm 
Fair 67

what to do now

Ok I used a waterproof fiberglass with cathair on my welds to seal them. If this is incorrect what do I do now. I was under the impression this was what to use. Some of my welds are grinded smooth enough to really not need to bondo or bridge anything. Do I still seal this. I already put the fiberglass on it but did I need to or should I have used seam sealer... Many questions but need advice I already have the fiberglass on ,what do I do with it? And in the future what should I be doing?

Post Sat May 20, 2006 7:04 pm 
mygirls63

dont worry

It's really not a problem, I would go ahead & sand it to the shape you need & not worry about it. I assume its in the trunk floor area. Just make sure you prime & paint the surface afterwards. That is where you will get the most protection.
The cathair fiberglass fillers were made to repair fiberglass parts such as header panels & chebby corvettes, however it does work good as a high build filler on metal, but there are other fillers that are intended for metal that work as good & are SLIGHTLY easier to sand.
In areas such as the trunk & floors where a perfectly straight panel is not desired or needed and will be hidden from sight is where to use the seam sealer. It does work great. You can also use latex tub adhesive caulk here too, but again not over bare metal. Prime and/or paint it first.
Also seal it from underneath as well. Seam sealer works great but I would prime the area first before applying the sealer, then apply the paint over that. Then undercoat the paint.
Fibered roof cement, the kind in a caulking tube that you use to repair shingles with & seal flashings with will also work good underneath the car, but it takes a day or two to set up, but it drys rock hard!
Feel free to ask for advice, the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask!

One word about rust, you cant stop it, it will reappear nearby in a few years. Sand blasting & chemical dips are the best at removing it.

Post Sun May 21, 2006 12:36 am 
Fair 67

Scott or anyone

If you look at my other thread Is this any better you will see what I am working on.. Any tips appreciated....

Thanks alot
Luke

Post Sun May 21, 2006 3:36 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: