Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:50 am   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Modifications

Need advise for 289 upgrades.

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
mike22

Need advise for 289 upgrades.

Hi guys Im new to the board. Ive got a 67 500, 2door, with a three speed in the floor, 289 2barell. My grandmother bought the car brand new and kept it in great shape. Ive been restoring the car since I was 16 and started working after school. Im 30 now and the car is close to complete but Ive never had the motor rebuilt, #1 cause money and #2 it runs great!!! Ive got bout 3500 bucks that I would like to put into the motor now and need advice.
I would like to juice to motor up, go with a 4 speed and maybe positive traction with a lil lower gear since the car is so heavy, 373 to 411.
I would like to get 300hp or more out of the 289 if possible. Really I would like for it to be a mean 289 with lots of power but really know nothing about what steps to take other than 4 barell and a cam, headers. I would like it to be a little different than what most have. Is 3 2's or dual quads possible??? Any information and suggestions would be great!!
thanks

Post Fri May 16, 2008 4:32 pm 
scorcher1967

Re: Need advise for 289 upgrades.

quote:
Originally posted by mike22:
Ive got a 67 500, 2door, with a three speed in the floor, 289 2barell.Ive got bout 3500 bucks that I would like to put into the motor now and need advice.
I would like to juice to motor up, go with a 4 speed and maybe positive traction with a lil lower gear since the car is so heavy, 373 to 411.
I would like to get 300hp or more out of the 289 if possible. Really I would like for it to be a mean 289 with lots of power but really know nothing about what steps to take other than 4 barell and a cam, headers. I would like it to be a little different than what most have. Is 3 2's or dual quads possible???

Go with the 4 speed, and the gears. That will wake up even a 289/2V. Go different, and up it to a 5 speed(or 6speed).

Now, for performance mods, the sky is the limit. Most every mod available for 302/5.0 will work on your 289. Question is, what is your goal? Keeping the 289? go different and put a set of good aftermarket heads and a set of weber carbs.

An edelbrock power pack with 3x2 carbs is an easy package to install, works well and looks cool.

300 reliable horse from a 289 is quite possible, but take care of the short block. Adding power on the top end, without addressing the lower end, will shorten your fun time.

Post Sat May 17, 2008 10:03 pm 
mike22

Thanks, is a 5 speed a difficult swap????

Anyone else got any opinions of motor mods, trans, and gear ratio's?????

Post Wed May 28, 2008 2:40 pm 
scorcher1967

T-5 conversions are simple these days. Darn near a bolt in swap. Check out these guys;

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/classic_swaps.htm

They dont have a Fairlane specific kit, but can help you get it in.

If you are on a budget, try a simple Edelbrock performer RPM cam, intake and carb. Jegs or Summit carries packages, and will pep up an otherwise stock small block. It wont get you 300 horses, but you will notice the difference. Pair that with a T-5, and 3.5-->3.73 gears, and you have a fun ride. Some shorty style headers are nice, but require exhaust system work.

Depending on your use, 4.11 are a mixed bag. Incredible off the line, horrible on the road. I had a 65 mustang 351w, toploader and 4.11s. Hell off the line. But mind numbing loud at anything over 55mph, not to mention fuel economy. My 64 wagon has a 3.50 rear, and I like the balance of off line pep, and cruisability.

Post Thu May 29, 2008 10:14 am 
dave s

T5 trans.

Only problem with a T5 and 3.73- 4.11 gears, is I was pulling for 2,nd gear by the time I got to the Christmas Tree,(3.90)

Post Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am 
mike22

well I spoke to a few guys here and this is what Im gonna go with. Tell me what ya think, Im still open for suggestions.

Motor will be sent to a race shop in Concord NC. Im only 20 min from there. If it need to be bored slightly then so be it but only 10-20 over. Alumin heads, roller rocker arms, alumin intake, 600cfm carb, hydrolic cam. Not sure of the cam size but the guys said big, but not so big that its not good for street. headers, and flomaster exhaust. I was told that would pep things up to around 325-350hp. Oh and a new clutch. Motor and engine compartment will be repainted and Im assured will look good. Im not gonna go will major detail with the motor dress up just chrome valve covers and air cleaner. I'll be spending 2500-3000 bucks total. which I thought was reasonable. what you guys think????? suggestions????comments????concerns?? thanks.

Post Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:35 pm 
RickRacer

Mike, Have you gotten everything done yet? I've been watching this post and wonder how it's going with your build. If you have I'm guessing your getting around 12 mpg?

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:19 pm 
bulletpruf

quote:
Originally posted by mike22:
well I spoke to a few guys here and this is what Im gonna go with. Tell me what ya think, Im still open for suggestions.

Motor will be sent to a race shop in Concord NC. Im only 20 min from there. If it need to be bored slightly then so be it but only 10-20 over. Alumin heads, roller rocker arms, alumin intake, 600cfm carb, hydrolic cam. Not sure of the cam size but the guys said big, but not so big that its not good for street. headers, and flomaster exhaust. I was told that would pep things up to around 325-350hp. Oh and a new clutch. Motor and engine compartment will be repainted and Im assured will look good. Im not gonna go will major detail with the motor dress up just chrome valve covers and air cleaner. I'll be spending 2500-3000 bucks total. which I thought was reasonable. what you guys think????? suggestions????comments????concerns?? thanks.

That all sounds good, but if you can afford it, I would go with a stroker kit for 347 cubic inches. Maybe run a toploader 4 sp behind it and a 3.50 or 3.73 gear. Pick up a limited slip center section for your 8" housing or install a 9" with 28 or 31 spline axles and a limited slip.

Scott

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:42 pm 
la8ron

Go with the 3.5 gears if you are only going to drag race a couple of times a year, otherwise look at going to the 3.73. Have you had a look at the price of crate motors compared to what it costs to get your motor rebuilt. What sort of torque figures will you be getting.

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:28 am 
67fairlane500
Site Admin

I have 4.11s with a T5 - like what was said above hell of the line but grabbing 2nd before I know what's going on. Usually I start out in 2nd gear on the street unless I want to have some fun. I want to run 3.73s but just haven't had the time to change things out.

Reason I put in 4.11s is that what a lot of guys did with a TopLoader. I didn't know enough at the time and didn't realize how steep 1st gear was in T5. Plus side of the 4.11 pumpkin I picked up is that it had TracLoc and that is what I was going for.

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:59 am 
Kiwi Ranchero

If you are looking for information on modifying the 289 have a look here.

http://www.sbftech.com/

There is an amazing amount of knowledge there. Spend some time reading the posts.

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:19 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: