Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Modifications

searching for power w my '62

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
K Daddy

searching for power w my '62

Ok heres the setup. I have a 289 w a 5 bolt rear from an older 65 'stang, wielan intanke manifold and a mid-mild crane cam. Theres also a carter carb, aluminum water pump, and the motors been punched 30 over. As it sits now i believe i should be in the 250 hp range, but im looking for more since it is a heavy car ( and i can never get enuff power lol). After its proved itself thru the summer i will be upgrading the trans to a t-5 from the factoy 3 on a tree. Wat can i do from here and wat manufactures? Im looking towards heads, headers, maybe an electric fan set up, but wat else? any suggestions would be great

thanks guys
ryan

Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:34 pm 
K Daddy

anyone???

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:53 pm 
Arky

300Hp should be pretty easy.

Call Compeition Cams in Memphis, roller rackoers. a set of good head and headers.

Your intake needs to match your cam and the rpm range you will be running in most of the time.

Ditch the attached fan for an elextric fan and a one wire alternotor setup and if you look on ebay you can get an HEI distri, for under $60.00.

depending on the rpm range/cam setup should get close to 300HP. I have a 260 thats are 225 rwhp. thru a 2 speed auto ansd its pretty good over 2000 rpm.

Post Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:20 pm 
K Daddy

iv already swapped to the single coil alternator. tryin to find a brand of heads, i know AFM is the best but also the most. prolly just gunna save for it. and wat do u suggest for the headers to clear in the 62? its a 289 but should be same block as the 221/260 correct?

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:57 pm 
mygirls63

How much more are you looking for? What are your goals? And what heads are on the car now?

AFR 165's would be a nice inline head for a 289 street car, at a lower to moderate RPM. If we are turning up the wick more, have a cam and short block to comfortably to support some daily RPM (you did say stick) the AFR 185 would be a better head. Be prepared to rev the engine though. Small cubes equal HP at a higher RPM as a rule.

Also be prepared to find that the cam you have (and valve springs are important here) will not be anywhere ideal with a bigger head such as the AFR 185 head or bigger. The TFS TW 170 head may work best here.
As said before check PTV clearance and be ready to notch the pistons.

Also keep in mind that if you have stock 289 heads, they most likely have the 54CC chamber. The AFR & TFS heads, as well as the GT40 P head all will come with 58 to 61CC chambers. That will lower the compression ratio. The right cam shaft will make up for this if designed properly and as a package.

Another nice choice for a stock head would be the GT40 P head from a late model Explorer. Modest gains over your stock(?) 289 heads, still a small valve head. The relocated spark plug location can cause some fitment headaches and changing plugs may be a bitch.

About the only decent header available for your car is the Hooker Super Comp headers, the part number I can not remember off hand, but search this sight, it has been brought up before. The Crites headers hang low and I have heard a lot of people complain about them.

The electric fan will free up some power. Good ignition will keep things in tune longer and help with throttle response.

What rear end gear does your car have?
The best feel of the seat, bang for the buck would be a deeper gear. Is this a weekend cruiser or is it on the highway? Again the T5 transmission with the overdrive would make up for a 3.5X to 3.7X gear.

Best gains engine wise, would be with more cubic inches, ie: a 347 stroker kit. The 347 is about the max CI for the 8.2 deck block without custom pistons, etc.

Guys push 370 + inches with stock blocks, but that takes a block with really good cylinder wall thickness, block filler, custom made or machined down LSX Chevy pistons and an offset ground 3.470 crankshaft.
Not exactly a street friendly daily driver!

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:47 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: