Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index
  The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:54 pm   

Fairlane Owners/Enthusiasts Forum Index -> FairlaneTech

Replacement Hood Springs

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
nick

Replacement Hood Springs

Hey guys,

I just bought a new set of hood springs for my '69. I had read somewhere that when the hood springs get weak, they don't pull the back edge of the hood down as well. i've adjusted the hinges as far down as i can and still have a little bit sticking up on one side. These new Autokrafter springs are apparently correct according to their catalog but they are slightly different in size than my originals. They also don't do any better than what my stock springs do.
Have any of you guys run into this? Is there a better source for springs that are stronger (closer to brand new stock?)
I'm pretty sure I have to send these back.

Thanks,

Nick

Post Wed May 16, 2007 11:23 am 
GerryProctor

I'm pretty sure I've read that the back of the hood not closing properly is a problem with the hinge, not the springs. Good springs will only make this problem worse. The rivits get loose and allow the hinge to pivot. You might try taking off a hinge and re-seating the pivot points.

Post Wed May 16, 2007 12:50 pm 
Fair 67

quote:
Originally posted by GerryProctor:
I'm pretty sure I've read that the back of the hood not closing properly is a problem with the hinge, not the springs. Good springs will only make this problem worse. The rivits get loose and allow the hinge to pivot. You might try taking off a hinge and re-seating the pivot points.

Thanks Gerry I was also wondering about that.

Post Wed May 16, 2007 2:23 pm 
67fairlaner

Try this.....

I know this sounds strange but loosen the mounting bolts on the inner fender & twist the lower hinge forward so the front hole goes lower & you actually lift the rear up. This should take the slop out that allows the rear corner to rise. You may need to move the whole hinge down to get the coerrect height, but the twist if the hinge forward & down will get rid of the slop in the hinge.

Post Wed May 16, 2007 5:41 pm 
nick

hinge

thanks guys. i'll check them out this weekend. i'm pretty sure that both hinges are positioned as far down in their mounting slots as possible. i'll try that trick of tipping the front mounting point down lower though.
when i put the hood together 6 years ago, the hinges had no slop and were very smooth so i'm sure it's not a wear/slop issue.
this morning when i raised the hood to check on things, i noticed that the new hinges also don't lift the hood as high as the stock springs did- another strike against the new springs.

nick

Post Fri May 18, 2007 9:04 am 
thefairlaneman

hood adjustment

The hood on my 64 closed perfect untill I removed it and put it back on. This makes me think the adjustment is off and the hinges are ok

Post Mon May 21, 2007 5:04 pm 
nick

Hinge Adjustment Update

Ok guys, I finally decided to try a couple things with the hood hinges. Both hinge's slots were all the way down on the bolts so they couldn't go any further. I loosened up the one side that always was a little high. while letting the hood's weight pull up the back of the hinge slightly, I tightened it up and then closed it. The back end now sat up further. I loosened it up, allowed the hinge to settle back down, and then pushed up on the leading edge while the bolts were tightened. The hood now closes flat and even with the fender top. What a relief. The fix was to raise the front end of the hinge to inner fender mounting point just a little bit- 1/4 to 3/16 I'm guessing.
Just wanted to let you guys know what I figured out.

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:43 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: